Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have I just invented a new axiom?

1. Jan 27, 2016 #1
    I doubt it but I was doing some work on trying to remove time from Classical Physics (just for the hell of it) and I came across a formula that made me go "huh, not seen that before, but it's kind of neat."

Just out of curiousity has anyone seen this formula before?

X = √ ((X/2Π) * (X*2Π))

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

If you mean ##x = \sqrt{\frac{x}{2\pi}x2\pi}##, where's the point?

4. Jan 27, 2016 #3
    No more than it's an interesting pattern and I thought I'd post out of curiousity as to whether seen it before.

5. Jan 27, 2016 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Doesn't work if ##x=-1##.

6. Jan 27, 2016 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Whatever this formula is or where it comes from, it's not an axiom. You should consult a dictionary for a proper definition of that term.

7. Jan 27, 2016 #6

fresh_42

8. Jan 27, 2016 #7
    Ah a classic example of a tongue-in-cheek post title being met with derision and scorn (it was a play on the classic "HAVE I JUST INVENTED A NEW FORMULA?!" posts you get on things like this.

I am genuinely interested if anyone has seen this pattern before because this is the first time I came across it, and it just seemed kind of neat.

9. Jan 27, 2016 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, it's a neat pattern and formula. But it's wrong. Try ##x=-1##.

10. Jan 27, 2016 #9
    Yeah, hubris took hold before I checked it with x = -1

11. Jan 27, 2016 #10

Mark44

Or in an easier-to-read form:
    The right side simplifies to ##\sqrt{x^2}##, which is NOT equal to x. It is true, however, that ##\sqrt{x^2}## = |x|.

12. Jan 28, 2016 #11
    It is true that ##|x|=\sqrt{(x/2π)2πx}##, but it is also true that ##|x|=\sqrt{(x/79)79x}## and ##|x|=\sqrt{(x/y)xy}##. This axiom already exists:
    ##|x|=\sqrt{x^2}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook