1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have I just invented a new axiom?

1. Jan 27, 2016 #1
    I doubt it but I was doing some work on trying to remove time from Classical Physics (just for the hell of it) and I came across a formula that made me go "huh, not seen that before, but it's kind of neat."

Just out of curiousity has anyone seen this formula before?

X = √ ((X/2Π) * (X*2Π))

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

If you mean ##x = \sqrt{\frac{x}{2\pi}x2\pi}##, where's the point?

4. Jan 27, 2016 #3
    No more than it's an interesting pattern and I thought I'd post out of curiousity as to whether seen it before.

5. Jan 27, 2016 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Doesn't work if ##x=-1##.

6. Jan 27, 2016 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Whatever this formula is or where it comes from, it's not an axiom. You should consult a dictionary for a proper definition of that term.

7. Jan 27, 2016 #6

fresh_42

8. Jan 27, 2016 #7
    Ah a classic example of a tongue-in-cheek post title being met with derision and scorn (it was a play on the classic "HAVE I JUST INVENTED A NEW FORMULA?!" posts you get on things like this.

I am genuinely interested if anyone has seen this pattern before because this is the first time I came across it, and it just seemed kind of neat.

9. Jan 27, 2016 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, it's a neat pattern and formula. But it's wrong. Try ##x=-1##.

10. Jan 27, 2016 #9
    Yeah, hubris took hold before I checked it with x = -1

11. Jan 27, 2016 #10

Mark44

Or in an easier-to-read form:
    The right side simplifies to ##\sqrt{x^2}##, which is NOT equal to x. It is true, however, that ##\sqrt{x^2}## = |x|.

12. Jan 28, 2016 #11
    It is true that ##|x|=\sqrt{(x/2π)2πx}##, but it is also true that ##|x|=\sqrt{(x/79)79x}## and ##|x|=\sqrt{(x/y)xy}##. This axiom already exists:
    ##|x|=\sqrt{x^2}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook