Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have we changed the time limit for edits again?

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't edit the posts I made 4-4.5 hours ago. No, I don't want to edit them. I'm just wondering why I don't see an edit button.

Edit: At least I can still edit this one. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes. Greg changed the edit time to 2 hours. This is in order to prevent cheaters from asking a homework question and then deleting all traces.

4. Dec 5, 2011 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Uhh...I really don't like this. I thought the previous 11 hours and 40 minutes was already close to the minimum time I'd be OK with. I'm all for creating problems for cheaters, but it will also create problems for people like you and me almost every day. OK, not you anymore, now that you have superpowers, but I expect to be annoyed by this almost every day.

But thank you for answering.

5. Dec 5, 2011 #4

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

This has been taken into account but we don't think it will be a major inconvenience for regular users. If it proves to be (e.g. if it becomes common for people have to repost with corrections) we can think through it again.

6. Dec 5, 2011 #5

Dembadon

Gold Member

I'm a little worried about this as well. But I'm an OCD user, not regular.

7. Dec 5, 2011 #6

Evo

Fredrik, if you have edits to make, I'll be happy to do them for you. You still have two hours after making your post to proof read and make corrections. Just send me a pm about what your special need is that requires you to make these late edits and I'm sure we can work something out.

8. Dec 5, 2011 #7

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you for the offer Evo. I don't need to edit any of my posts from today, but I might as well take this opportunity to ask you to change a 0 to a 1 in this post, which I still link to once in a while. There are two indented lines that end with 'send the reply "0"'. The 0 that ends the second line should be a 1.

I think the new time limit won't be much of a problem for users who just ask questions, but it will be more of a problem for those of us who like to answer questions. Mainly because we don't like to give incorrect answers, or explanations that are hard to follow.

I was a bit skeptical when the time was lowered to 700 minutes as well, but that's at least enough time to fix late night mistakes in the morning (something I do at least a few times a week), and morning mistakes in the afternoon. Now if I leave the computer to do something else for a while, when I come back, it will probably be too late.

When I expressed my concern back then, several mentors offered to help with edits, as you are doing now, and they told me that if I want to edit something after the time is up, all I have to do is to use the report button to ask a mentor for assistance. I don't believe that really works. I'm not embarrassed to do that 3-4 times a year, but I think you guys would get tired of me fast if I started doing it every day. :smile:

Anyway, I don't really know how much of a problem this is going to be. The 700 minute limit caused a lot less problems than I thought it would, so maybe this will too.

9. Dec 5, 2011 #8

Evo

Fixed.

10. Dec 5, 2011 #9

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you.

11. Dec 5, 2011 #10
    Keep giving us feedback Fredrik, we can keep tweaking it to find the sweet spot.

12. Dec 5, 2011 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Fredrik, I also volunteer to make any edits you want me to make. Just pm or report the thread, and I'll be happy to edit posts. The last we want is to inconvenience you.

13. Dec 5, 2011 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Edit time is back to normal.

Thanks for your feedback, Fredrik!!

14. Dec 5, 2011 #13

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for the kind offers to help out with edits. I'm glad it was changed back though. :smile:

15. Dec 5, 2011 #14

Dale

I can understand the need to have a short edit time for revisions. But even after the revision time it would be nice to have a feature where you could indicate that you had made a mistake. When I make a mistake that is corrected a day or two later in the conversation I am always concerned that the original mistaken post will be taken out of context. For me a short time window to change existing text would be OK, but to be able to add a comment much later would be helpful.

16. Dec 5, 2011 #15

eumyang

Homework Helper

Not for me. In fact, immediately after I made a post in another thread, I noticed that there was no "Edit" button at all. :confused:

EDIT: Very strange. The "Edit" button appears on this thread, but not on this thread (for me).

17. Dec 5, 2011 #16
    Are you in the homework forums?

18. Dec 5, 2011 #17

Ryan_m_b

We're trying out settings that disable editing in the Homework forums.

19. Dec 5, 2011 #18

eumyang

Homework Helper

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

20. Dec 5, 2011 #19

Evo

My suggestions, take a moment and proof read before you submit. I usually do a "preview post" because I find it easier to see errors in forum view than in editor view.

21. Dec 5, 2011 #20

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For my longer post, the standard is more like 15-20 previews and 2-5 edits. :smile:

However, I don't mind having the edit feature disabled in the homework forum. I seldom see the need to write really long posts there. Since we're providing hints rather than complete solutions, posts tend to get a lot shorter. For the same reason, I rarely have a reason to link to the same post in the homework forum many times, so it doesn't really matter if a post could use some improvements.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook