Have you ever had to go to a hospital over seas?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary, if you get a mouth infection in a foreign country, you can use hydrogen peroxide to try and treat it. However, you may not be able to take the peroxide on the plane with you.
gravenewworld
I am about to leave for my 2 week vacation in Thailand tomorrow. But as fate would have it, my wisdom tooth in the back right corner of my mouth seems to be coming in right now. My gums are starting to become badly swollen. If it gets infected I will definitely have to have it taken out which means a Thai oral surgeon. So have you ever had to go to a hospital in a foreign country before? Would insurance even pay for this? Are foreigners allowed to go to hospitals and not pay anything in countries w/ universal health care?

Physics news on Phys.org
In most tourist countries there are hospitals that would be upto 'western' standards. Check with a brand-name hotel for recomendations.
Wether your travel insurance would cover you for an existing condition that knew would need treatent while you are away - otherwise you could get all your medical treatment for free with a cheap airfare and a 1 day insurance policy!

In the Europe/Canada you will be treated in a hospital but will normally be billed - either directly to your insurance company or sometimes back to your home countries health agency if there is a reciprocal agreement. The UK at least is trying to tighten up on this since hospitals near Heathrow airport are seen to be victims of health tourism.

I don't know about visiting the hospital, but I do know how you can stave off infection completely for at least two weeks: hydrogen peroxide.

You can get it as a mouthwash (Colgate Peroxyl) or you can use the over the counter first aid stuff. If you use the first aid type, it has a higher concentration (3% instead of 1.9%), so it is best to use a soaked cotton ball (the only danger is swallowing large amounts).

Maybe it sounds like too much of an alternative medicine remedy, but I think it really works miracles for mouth infections (as in, one gargle before bed and an aching tooth abscess will feel and look much much better, for long enough to get to the dentist).

Of course you won't be able to take that hydrogen peroxide on the plane!

chemisttree said:
Of course you won't be able to take that hydrogen peroxide on the plane!
Could you take say 99ml of H2O2 and 99ml of Acetone in separate bottles as long as you put them in a little transparent bag ?

Of course if they stop you - make sure that they don't throw them together into the bin with all the other suspected explosives.

mgb_phys said:
Could you take say 99ml of H2O2 and 99ml of Acetone in separate bottles as long as you put them in a little transparent bag ?

Of course if they stop you - make sure that they don't throw them together into the bin with all the other suspected explosives.

Not much would happen at 3%.

gravenewworld said:
I am about to leave for my 2 week vacation in Thailand tomorrow. But as fate would have it, my wisdom tooth in the back right corner of my mouth seems to be coming in right now. My gums are starting to become badly swollen. If it gets infected I will definitely have to have it taken out which means a Thai oral surgeon. So have you ever had to go to a hospital in a foreign country before? Would insurance even pay for this? Are foreigners allowed to go to hospitals and not pay anything in countries w/ universal health care?

So Americans don't want universal health care but hope that they are covered for health charges in countries where universal health care exists?

That's low.

JasonRox said:
So Americans don't want universal health care but hope that they are covered for health charges in countries where universal health care exists?

That's low.

I don't know why you'd think that's low...all insurance I've ever had offered coverage for international travelers. But most don't offer emergency medical evacuation, so you have to pay extra for that. When my daughter went to England last year, evacuation insurance cost about ten dollars for the summer. Well worth it, since a medical transport would cost thousands of dollars.

I have to say yes. I was in a market somewhere in the world and this wasp decided to start eating my ankle. :bugeye:

I freaked out and had to go to the hospital so that they could put some gauze on the open wound. It was free though. (treatment)

As for if overseas will let you pay etc. etc. you have to speak to your current medical insurance. My mother has to go overseas and she gets a plan from her credit card of all things and she is insured up to a certain ammount.

Last edited:
lisab said:
I don't know why you'd think that's low...all insurance I've ever had offered coverage for international travelers. But most don't offer emergency medical evacuation, so you have to pay extra for that. When my daughter went to England last year, evacuation insurance cost about ten dollars for the summer. Well worth it, since a medical transport would cost thousands of dollars.

Buy travel insurance. Simple as that.

JasonRox said:
Buy travel insurance. Simple as that.

So that's what it's called. That's what my mother buys when she travels overseas for buisness.

I underwent several surgery back in France. But since I am a citizen there, I did not need special insurance :tongue2: I have a few armenian friends, one of them needed a tooth surgery, I am not sure what. The plane ticket included, it is less expensive for him to go back home. And yes, he was perfectly happy about it, even he claimed the doctors are better there (of which I have no clue). I found it amazing, but that definitely does not apply to an emergency.

What about having to go to the hospital in the U.S. when you are an overseas' citizen. :rolleyes: Back home I was told I had better get two of those insurances :rofl:

mgb_phys said:

And make an absolutely miniscule piece of AP. LOL

1. What should I do if I need to go to a hospital while traveling overseas?

If you find yourself in need of medical attention while traveling abroad, the first thing you should do is contact the nearest embassy or consulate for assistance. They can help you find a reputable hospital or doctor and provide translation services if needed.

2. Will my insurance cover medical expenses if I go to a hospital overseas?

It depends on your insurance policy. Some insurance plans provide coverage for medical expenses incurred while traveling abroad, while others may require you to purchase a separate travel insurance policy. It's important to check with your insurance provider before traveling to understand your coverage.

3. Is the quality of healthcare in other countries as good as in my home country?

The quality of healthcare can vary greatly from country to country. It's important to do your research and choose a reputable hospital or doctor. You can also check with your embassy or consulate for recommendations.

4. Will I need to get any vaccinations or medications before traveling to a hospital overseas?

It's always a good idea to check with your doctor or a travel clinic before traveling to another country. They can advise you on any necessary vaccinations or medications to protect your health while abroad.

5. What should I do if I have a pre-existing condition and need medical attention while overseas?

If you have a pre-existing condition and anticipate needing medical attention while traveling overseas, it's important to plan ahead. Make sure to bring enough medication for your trip and research healthcare options in your destination country. You may also want to consider purchasing a travel insurance policy that covers pre-existing conditions.