Having "agree" as like-option?

• Thread starter Filip Larsen
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of the "Like" button on a forum and its possible use as an "Agree" or "Concur" button. The participants discuss the potential confusion between "Like" and "Agree" and suggest quoting specific statements to indicate agreement. They also mention the cluttering of threads with excessive use of the like button and the usefulness of having categorized feedback. Finally, they agree on the absence of a "Disagree" button and praise the forum team for not including it.
Filip Larsen
Gold Member
I often just want to indicate that I agree or concur with a post, but since "Agree" is not a direct choice on the like-button menu, I am not sure what is best.

Should I go with "Like"? I guess this is the closest option, but it somehow feels different than "Agree" in the sense that "Agree" indicates you concur with the statements made in the post regardless of what form they are presented in, whereas "Like" seems to more indicate that you like the post overall including form. On the other hand, the thumbs up emoji associated with the "Like" option often means "Yes" or "Agree" in other contexts, so perhaps people here are thinking of "Like" same as "Agree"?

I guess I am kind of fishing to hear if an "Agree" option (which emoji?) would be an interesting option to have in the like menu, or if I am putting too much thought into this.

PS: Anticipating the playful spirit of this forum I of course now expect many meta-responses to this post in form of a lot of different like-options. PPS: Now I said that, I naturally expect it to have no reactions.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think like is close enough to agree.

Likes Klystron, symbolipoint, Greg Bernhardt and 1 other person
Filip Larsen said:
I often just want to indicate that I agree or concur with a post, but since "Agree" is not a direct choice on the like-button menu, I am not sure what is best.
I will normally just use like, but when I want to agree emphatically with what someone has said, I quote his/her post and put the following below it:

what he said (very small).jpg

Likes BillTre, Wrichik Basu and Filip Larsen
phinds said:
I will normally just use like, but when I want to agree emphatically with what someone has said, I quote his/her post and put the following below it:

View attachment 248595

When I read the OP I thought of you and your dog!

Likes Wrichik Basu and phinds
PeroK said:
When I read the OP I thought of you and your dog!
Then I must have agreed w/ you at least a couple of times :smile:

Thanks for the input. :smile:

I think I will go with "Like" being a mix between "Like" and "Agree" then. And good point about considering to quote the specific statement one wants to agree with.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
PeroK said:
I think like is close enough to agree.
I do not agree with your comment, BUT I LIKE IT.

Filip Larsen said:
to quote the specific statement one wants to agree with.
At the same time, this clutters up threads with "the cheering" sections/fans; like/agree "equivalence" is close enough for government/PF work.

Likes BillTre, Filip Larsen and Tom.G
Bystander said:
At the same time, this clutters up threads with "the cheering" sections/fans

Also true. I would think the beauty of the like buttons is that they allow categorized, multiple feedback associated directly to a specific post that is very easy to see, so readers that are new the subject or thread in question quickly can gather if there is "support" for a specific post. Hard to beat that with reply posting.

And, just for the record, it was actually with this usage of the like system in mind that I thought that an "Agree" or "Concur" button would be nice to have, to more narrowly indicate support of the statements made as compared the to more subjective and loose meaning of general "Like".

I would also like to comment that I think it is a good idea that there is no "Disagree" button in the like-menu. If I dislike or disagree with a post I should really post a reply that details what I think is wrong rather than just hitting a button that provides no additional information. I have seen the dislike/disagree/thumbs-down button used in other technical fora and it quickly becomes misused to the point where it only adds to the confusion. Readers can see there is a lot of disagreement with a post but not why. So thumbs up to Greg and the team for not adding that button :smile:

Likes BillTre and Tom.G

1. What does it mean to have "agree" as a like-option?

Having "agree" as a like-option means that individuals have the option to indicate their agreement or approval of something through a like button or similar feature. This can be seen on social media platforms, where users can like or favorite posts to show their support or agreement with the content.

2. How does having "agree" as a like-option impact user behavior?

Research has shown that having "agree" as a like-option can positively impact user behavior. It can encourage more engagement with content, increase feelings of social validation, and create a sense of community among users. However, it can also lead to a bias towards popular opinions and discourage critical thinking.

3. Are there any drawbacks to having "agree" as a like-option?

Yes, there are some potential drawbacks to having "agree" as a like-option. As mentioned, it can create a bias towards popular opinions and discourage critical thinking. It can also lead to a focus on gaining likes rather than creating meaningful content. Additionally, it can contribute to a culture of comparison and competition among users.

4. How can having "agree" as a like-option be used in research?

Having "agree" as a like-option can be used in research to measure public opinion on various topics. It can also be used to track trends and changes in attitudes over time. However, it is important to note that this data may not always be representative or accurate, as it only captures a small portion of the population and may be influenced by factors such as social desirability bias.

5. What are some alternatives to having "agree" as a like-option?

There are several alternatives to having "agree" as a like-option. One option is to have a range of reactions or emotions that users can choose from, such as a thumbs up, heart, or sad face. Another option is to have a comment section where users can express their thoughts and opinions more fully. Some platforms have also implemented a dislike or downvote button to provide a more balanced range of feedback.