Having problems with my physics class

In summary, the student is struggling in their science class and is close to failing. They have an online test tomorrow and are seeking help. They are specifically struggling with a question about converting ice into steam and are looking for guidance on how to approach it. The expert provides advice on gaining confidence and understanding formulas, and also reminds the student of the definition of a calorie, which they can use to solve the problem.
hj_creynolds
The teacher doesn't go slow enough, and make sure you understand the material.. What he goes over in class isn't on the test or homework, so I am close to failing. I was hoping to get some help. I have an online test tomorrow (friday) and was hoping i could post some questions, and maybe get some help on them.. Here is one of the questions that might be on it.

How many calories of heat are required to convert .250 kg of ice at 0 °C into steam at 100 °C? Solve this problem in steps:

How much heat is required to melt the ice and produce water at 0 °C?

How much heat is required to raise the temperature of the water to 100 °C?

How much heat is required to boil the 100 °C water into water vapor (steam) at 100 °C?

What is the total amount of heat that was added to the original ice at 0°C to turn it into steam at 100 °C?

And the answers must be in Kcal... Thats a question on the homework.. and i don't even understand that.. anybody lend some help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, welcome to pf. Before I start helping you I would like you to tell you a few things about science that I have learned from past experience, firstly, answering science questions comes down to one thing, confidence. The only way you can improve is to tackle as many science problems as you can so that you can gain the confidence you need to tackle the harder problems, but since time is nearly up for you I would say it is too late to utilise this piece of advise for now, but keep it in mind for the future ;). Secondly, science teachers will teach you the foundations of a subject, they will give you definitions of key words and the basic formula's to solve problems in that area, but it is up to YOU to understand these formula's so you are capable of rearranging them to calculate whatever value you are looking for. Now, I do not know what your teacher has taught you but I am sure he has taught you the definition of a calorie, which is:

calorie is the amount of energy(usually heat energy) required to raise the temperature of one gram of water by 1 °C.

Now from this definition, I believe you can tackle most of the problems above ;)

I am sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with your physics class. It can be frustrating when the teacher's pace and teaching style do not align with your learning needs. It is important to communicate your concerns with your teacher and ask for additional help or clarification if needed. Additionally, seeking help from classmates, tutors, or online resources can also be beneficial.

As for the question you have provided, it seems to be a problem involving the concept of heat transfer and phase changes. To solve this problem, you will need to use the specific heat capacity of ice, water, and steam, as well as the latent heat of fusion and vaporization. These values can be found in a reference book or online.

To find the amount of heat required to melt the ice, you can use the formula Q = m * Lf, where Q is the heat, m is the mass of the ice, and Lf is the latent heat of fusion for ice. Similarly, you can use the formula Q = m * Cp * ΔT to find the heat needed to raise the temperature of the water, where Cp is the specific heat capacity of water and ΔT is the change in temperature.

To find the heat required to boil the water into steam, you can use the formula Q = m * Lv, where Lv is the latent heat of vaporization for water. Finally, to find the total amount of heat required, you can add up the individual amounts of heat from each step.

I hope this helps you understand the problem better. Remember, practice and seeking help when needed are key to understanding and succeeding in physics. Best of luck on your test tomorrow.

1. How can I improve my grades in physics class?

There are a few steps you can take to improve your grades in physics class. First, make sure you are attending all classes and paying attention during lectures. Take notes and ask questions if you don't understand something. Additionally, practice solving problems regularly and seek help from your teacher or a tutor if needed. Finally, make sure you are studying for tests and quizzes by reviewing your notes, completing practice problems, and using study guides.

2. I find physics concepts difficult to understand. What can I do?

If you find physics concepts difficult to understand, there are a few strategies you can try. First, break down the concept into smaller parts and try to understand each part individually. You can also use visual aids such as diagrams or videos to help you understand the concept better. Additionally, try to relate the concept to real-life examples to make it more relatable. Lastly, don't hesitate to ask your teacher or classmates for help if you are still struggling.

3. I am struggling with the math in my physics class. How can I improve?

Many students struggle with the math aspect of physics. To improve, it's important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. If needed, consider reviewing these concepts before diving into physics. Additionally, practice solving physics problems that involve math regularly. You can also use online resources or seek help from your teacher or a tutor if you need extra support.

4. I don't find physics interesting. How can I motivate myself to do well in the class?

It's common for students to struggle with motivation in a subject they are not interested in. One way to motivate yourself is to try to find the practical applications of physics in your daily life. This can help you see the relevance and importance of the subject. You can also set specific goals for yourself, such as achieving a certain grade or understanding a difficult concept. Lastly, seek support from your teacher or classmates to help you stay motivated.

5. I am afraid I won't be able to keep up with the pace of the class. What should I do?

If you are worried about keeping up with the pace of the class, try not to panic. It's important to communicate with your teacher and let them know your concerns. They may be able to provide extra resources or offer individualized help. Additionally, make sure you are attending all classes and completing assignments on time. If you do fall behind, don't hesitate to ask for help and work on catching up as soon as possible.