Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having trouble understanding sources of hetroscedasticity

1. May 13, 2012 #1
    Hey. Iam trying to understand how specification of the equation can lead to hetroscedasticity. This is stright out of my notes.

Yt=B1+B2x2t+B3x3t+......+BkXkt+[itex]\gamma[/itex][itex]\varpi+[/itex]ε[itex]^{}_{t}[/itex]

Yt=B1+B2x2t+B3x3t+......+Bkxkt+ε[itex]^{*}_{t}[/itex]

where
    ε[itex]^{*}_{t}[/itex] = εt + [itex]\gamma[/itex][itex]\varpi[/itex]t

Since Var(εt) = [itex]\sigma[/itex][itex]^{2}_{ε}+[/itex][itex]\gamma[/itex][itex]^{}_{t}[/itex]var([itex]\varpi[/itex]t)

I dont understand the variance part. I know that the variance of any epsilon is [itex]\sigma[/itex]2, but why does the γt go outside the variance operator? I know it's a constant so why isn't it γ2?

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2012 #2
    If γ is a constant the it's a typo and γ should be squared when outside the variance.

This seems a time series, so one to way to introduce heterocedasticity in this model is by increasing γt over time, I am assuming ϖ is a random variable with the same behavior over time (it's not clear in your formulation since sometimes they both have the t subscript at the end but not in the beginning).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook