Having trouble with a centripetal force problem

In summary: I want you to solve for this equation yourself using your understanding of the relationship between linear and angular velocity.
jap129

Homework Statement

A 2.0 kg stone is whirled in a horizontal circle on the end of a 2.1 m long rope. The stone travels around the circle 50 times each minute. What centripetal force is exerted by the rope on the stone?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to work put the variables into the formula: m*v^2/r. But it didn't work. I've tried anything I could figure, and this is the only problem I have been stumped on from the last 50 problems I've done.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've tried to work put the variables into the formula: m*v^2/r. But it didn't work.

Can you show us your work? I'm fairly certain it should work...

jap129 said:
The stone travels around the circle 50 times each minute.

so then how many oscillations are in one second?

jegues said:
Can you show us your work? I'm fairly certain it should work...

50/60= 0.83

2*0.83^2/1.05 = 1.3 <That answer did not look correct to me. I probably did something wrong. But don't remember what.

2*0.83^2/1.05 = 1.3 <That answer did not look correct to me. I probably did something wrong. But don't remember what.

Where did you get that radius from? Isn't the rope 2.1m?

jegues said:
Where did you get that radius from? Isn't the rope 2.1m?

Woops. I was looking at a different problem when I wrote down the radius. So...
2*0.83^2/2.1 = 0.65
The answer is still wrong though.

You can compute its circumference and with it solve for a linear velocity. Then think about the relationship between linear and centripetal velocity.

Have you thought about the Fc=mw^2R equation? That might help.

Have you thought about the Fc=mw^2R equation? That might help.

I want you to solve for this equation yourself using your understanding of the relationship between linear and angular velocity.

I'd rather you understand how the equations came to be, rather than simply memorizing them.

Last edited:
I believe I figured it out, the answer is 120 N. It makes sense now. Thanks for the help. :)

1. What is a centripetal force?

A centripetal force is a force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, always directed towards the center of the circle.

2. How do I calculate the centripetal force?

The centripetal force can be calculated using the formula F = mv^2/r, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What are some common examples of centripetal force?

Some common examples of centripetal force include a car turning a corner, a satellite orbiting around the Earth, and a ball on a string being swung in a circular motion.

4. What happens if there is not enough centripetal force?

If there is not enough centripetal force, the object will not be able to maintain its circular path and will instead move in a straight line. This can result in the object veering off course or losing control.

5. How can I solve a centripetal force problem?

To solve a centripetal force problem, you will need to identify the known values, such as mass, velocity, and radius, and plug them into the formula F = mv^2/r. Then, you can solve for the unknown value, which is typically the centripetal force. It is also important to pay attention to the units of measurement and use consistent units throughout the calculation.