Heard of adductor release surgery?

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Release
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of hip adductor release surgery and how well-known it is among medical professionals. The reference provided discusses the surgery and its common use in correcting sports injuries. The individual asking the question is trying to assess the familiarity of this surgery among those in the medical field, but is not seeking medical advice. Ultimately, they have an upcoming appointment with a sports-medicine MD who they hope will provide more information.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Have you every heard of hip adductor release surgery? If so, how? Know anyone who has undergone the surgery? Any idea if this is well-known among MD's who would diagnose the issue?

Thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
Heard of it. Sort of.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4044507/ It corrects a common sports injury. Sports Medicine is probably the area to start seeking after physicians.

The reference should answer questions you have.

Please remember PF does not provide medical advice, but if you do not understand the reference we can help get you up to speed.

Likes berkeman
jim mcnamara said:
Heard of it. Sort of.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4044507/ It corrects a common sports injury. Sports Medicine is probably the area to start seeking after physicians.

The reference should answer questions you have.

Please remember PF does not provide medical advice, but if you do not understand the reference we can help get you up to speed.
Yea I read this paper already. I'm not asking for medical advice, just trying to get a feel for how many people have heard of this surgery.

That's an odd request, IMO. Definitely physicians will know, and probably physical therapists, kinesiologists will have to have some passing knowledge. You indicated what you want people to tell you, but what exactly are you trying to get at? This is the wrong scientific "demographic" for that kind of thing. It is certainly okay to ask.

jim mcnamara said:
You indicated what you want people to tell you, but what exactly are you trying to get at?
I'm worried if I state what I'm trying to get at people will think I'm asking for medical advice, which I'm not. I initially posted in general discussions because I don't want any opinions on the surgery or my symptoms; I just want to get an idea of how many people know of this surgery and how they know of it (if anyone does).

I initially wrote this thread with my symptoms but decided it sounded like I was seeking advice, so I shortened it to what you read in my first post.

I know it seems like an odd request, but imagine if I sprained my ankle but never heard of an ankle sprain before. I meet with 2 PTs and 1 PA and they've never heard of an ankle sprain. I rehab for 6 months. No improvement. So I start googling symptoms, I ignore WebMD and similar websites, go to the scientific journals (like the one you linked) and see articles on ankle sprains. Symptoms align, and causes align too. Since I know of an educated group of people (PF), I decide to ask if they've heard of it. I of course asked my family and peers as well. I do have an appointment with a sports-medicine MD in a week, but I'm still curious who all has heard of this.

joshmccraney said:
I do have an appointment with a sports-medicine MD in a week,
That's the key, and your best source of information. The MD should help you get it sorted out. :smile:

berkeman said:
That's the key, and your best source of information. The MD should help you get it sorted out. :smile:
I hope so! I'm worried since I have not spoke with one person who has heard of the surgery.

1. What is adductor release surgery?

Adductor release surgery is a surgical procedure used to treat conditions that cause tight or overactive adductor muscles in the thigh. These muscles are responsible for bringing the legs together, and when they become too tight, they can cause pain, stiffness, and difficulty with movement.

2. Who is a candidate for adductor release surgery?

Candidates for adductor release surgery are individuals who have been diagnosed with conditions such as cerebral palsy, spasticity, or hip dysplasia that cause tight or overactive adductor muscles. They may experience difficulty with walking, sitting, or other daily activities due to their condition.

3. What are the potential risks and complications of adductor release surgery?

As with any surgery, there are risks and potential complications associated with adductor release surgery. These can include infection, bleeding, nerve damage, and blood clots. It is important to discuss these risks with your doctor before undergoing the procedure.

4. What is the recovery process like after adductor release surgery?

The recovery process after adductor release surgery can vary depending on the individual and their specific condition. Generally, physical therapy and rehabilitation exercises are recommended to help improve strength and range of motion in the affected area. It may take several weeks or months to fully recover and resume normal activities.

5. Are there any alternatives to adductor release surgery?

In some cases, non-surgical treatments such as physical therapy, stretching, and medication may be recommended to manage symptoms of tight or overactive adductor muscles. However, if these treatments are not effective, adductor release surgery may be necessary to provide long-lasting relief and improve overall function.