Heard of adductor release surgery?

joshmccraney
Gold Member
Hi PF!

Have you every heard of hip adductor release surgery? If so, how? Know anyone who has undergone the surgery? Any idea if this is well-known among MD's who would diagnose the issue?

Thanks!

Answers and Replies

jim mcnamara
Mentor
Heard of it. Sort of.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4044507/ It corrects a common sports injury. Sports Medicine is probably the area to start seeking after physicians.

The reference should answer questions you have.

Please remember PF does not provide medical advice, but if you do not understand the reference we can help get you up to speed.

Likes berkeman
joshmccraney
Gold Member
Heard of it. Sort of.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4044507/ It corrects a common sports injury. Sports Medicine is probably the area to start seeking after physicians.

The reference should answer questions you have.

Please remember PF does not provide medical advice, but if you do not understand the reference we can help get you up to speed.
Yea I read this paper already. I'm not asking for medical advice, just trying to get a feel for how many people have heard of this surgery.

jim mcnamara
Mentor
That's an odd request, IMO. Definitely physicians will know, and probably physical therapists, kinesiologists will have to have some passing knowledge. You indicated what you want people to tell you, but what exactly are you trying to get at? This is the wrong scientific "demographic" for that kind of thing. It is certainly okay to ask.

joshmccraney
Gold Member
You indicated what you want people to tell you, but what exactly are you trying to get at?
I'm worried if I state what I'm trying to get at people will think I'm asking for medical advice, which I'm not. I initially posted in general discussions because I don't want any opinions on the surgery or my symptoms; I just want to get an idea of how many people know of this surgery and how they know of it (if anyone does).

I initially wrote this thread with my symptoms but decided it sounded like I was seeking advice, so I shortened it to what you read in my first post.

I know it seems like an odd request, but imagine if I sprained my ankle but never heard of an ankle sprain before. I meet with 2 PTs and 1 PA and they've never heard of an ankle sprain. I rehab for 6 months. No improvement. So I start googling symptoms, I ignore WebMD and similar websites, go to the scientific journals (like the one you linked) and see articles on ankle sprains. Symptoms align, and causes align too. Since I know of an educated group of people (PF), I decide to ask if they've heard of it. I of course asked my family and peers as well. I do have an appointment with a sports-medicine MD in a week, but I'm still curious who all has heard of this.

berkeman
Mentor
I do have an appointment with a sports-medicine MD in a week,
That's the key, and your best source of information. The MD should help you get it sorted out. :smile:

joshmccraney
Gold Member
That's the key, and your best source of information. The MD should help you get it sorted out. :smile:
I hope so! I'm worried since I have not spoke with one person who has heard of the surgery.