1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Equation, Neumann, Fourier

1. Apr 26, 2009 #1
    Hi, it's been a while since I touched mathematics and I'm a little rusty... I'm looking at a problem right now that I find difficult to understand, conceptually. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. (A direct solution would help immensely as well, not only because that's what I need to submit, but also because I can usually figure out the concept from looking at the solution.) LaTeX output doesn't seem to be working for me; I've tried FF and IE. I'll place LaTeX between $$.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use Fourier Transform in $(x_1,x_2)$ to find $u(x_1,x_2,x_3)$ when $\Delta u=0$; in $(x_1,x_2)\in \Re^2$; $x_3<0$. $\frac{\partial u}{\partial x_3}=f(x_1,x_2)$ at $x_3=0$.

(Note that $\Delta$ is the Laplace operator.)

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

First of all, note that this problem is not dependent on time. I believe it's because $\Delta u=0$, right? This is the first "concept" that confuses me; what kind of problem does not depend on time, and what exactly are we looking for? Am I mistaken? Does it indeed depend on time implicitly?

And the solution to be found here is $u(x_1,x_2,x_3)$, which gives heat at any point in space, regardless of time?

On the original problem (handwritten and photocopied by the professor) the $x_3<0$ was emphasized. Why?

Is it perhaps that $\Delta u=0$ only applies to $x_1$ and $x_2$, but not $x_3$?

So confused. Any advice and direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks like a steady-state diffusion problem on the half-space, or semi-infinite medium (this is why $x_3<0$ is emphasized). The heat flux at the surface is a function of location. $\Delta u=0$ applies to all three variables; it's the temperature field within the half-space.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook