Heat Recovery Potential from Domestic Boilers & Ovens

In summary: Hi guys,I am currently exploring dissertation ideas and have been looking into the heat recovery potential from domestic gas boilers and ovens. More specifically, I am seeing if it is viable to collect heat from these appliances during or after their use, and then pump this heat into the attic of your standard UK home. The purpose of this would be to warm up the attic space, therefore increasing the temperature in the attic, and thus decreasing the temperature difference between the attic and the rooms below it. Hence, decreasing the overall heat transfer between these areas, which would lead to a more insulated home. I made a quick sketch of the concept to illustrate this mechanism (apologies for the quality as it was done rather hastily on
Nandomech
Hi guys, I am currently exploring dissertation ideas and have been looking into the heat recovery potential from domestic gas boilers and ovens. More specifically, I am seeing if it is viable to collect heat from these appliances during or after their use, and then pump this heat into the attic of your standard UK home. The purpose of this would be to warm up the attic space, therefore increasing the temperature in the attic, and thus decreasing the temperature difference between the attic and the rooms below it. Hence, decreasing the overall heat transfer between these areas, which would lead to a more insulated home. I made a quick sketch of the concept to illustrate this mechanism (apologies for the quality as it was done rather hastily on the train ride home) https://imgur.com/a/HE4Fmpt.

So, essentially what the above sketch depicts is a mechanism which utilizes the heat from the oven and the boiler flue gasses and runs them through a heat exchanger to warm up the ambient cold air coming into the attic.

I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys on; how viable this concept is, the variables I need to account for when trying to construct this system and also any suggestions on areas of research I could pursue to enhance my knowledge of heat recovery systems.

All advice and suggestions are welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nandomech said:
Hi guys, I am currently exploring dissertation ideas and have been looking into the heat recovery potential from domestic gas boilers and ovens. More specifically, I am seeing if it is viable to collect heat from these appliances during or after their use, and then pump this heat into the attic of your standard UK home. The purpose of this would be to warm up the attic space, therefore increasing the temperature in the attic, and thus decreasing the temperature difference between the attic and the rooms below it. Hence, decreasing the overall heat transfer between these areas, which would lead to a more insulated home.
"Insulated" doesn't mean warmer, it means that heat flow is blocked by a physical barrier. Heating the attic doesn't increase insulation.

Ovens already dump all of their heat into your house, so they already are "recovering" it to warm your house.

When you say "domestic gas boiler" are you talking about a heating boiler or is that a Britishese word for a tap water heater? Most of the heat from/for tapwater already goes into your house, and a heating boiler is already heating your house, of course. I guess though if they are gas fired and not already equipped with heat recovery, the exhaust gases are hot and some of that heat can be recovered. Generally, such appliances are about 80% efficient and you can recover about 15% of the wasted 20% with a heat exchanger that warms up the combustion supply air.
I made a quick sketch of the concept to illustrate this mechanism (apologies for the quality as it was done rather hastily on the train ride home) https://imgur.com/a/HE4Fmpt.
Ovens don't have combustion exhaust vents; they exhaust their combustion products directly into your house. Also, water heaters/boilers don't exhaust into your attic, but like I said, you could use a heat exchanger sort of like how you drew it.
...to warm up the ambient cold air coming into the attic.
Air shouldn't be forced-circulated through an attic. The boiler/water heater needs fresh air for the burner though, and you can use the waste heat to warm that up.
...and also any suggestions on areas of research I could pursue to enhance my knowledge of heat recovery systems.
The name of these systems is "condensing boiler" or water heater. Google those terms and read-up on some products and resources you find on heir principles of operation.

Likes jrmichler and PhanthomJay
If you have waste heat at hand then instead of using it to warm up some space you does not live in you should use it directly to warm up the house.
The best choice on this waste heat line is to use it to warm up the cold, fresh air from outside through a heat exchanger and just keep the heat inside.

Ps.: regarding the attic the best choice is to insulate it well that it remains cold...

Likes jrmichler and russ_watters
This photo shows the roof over a poorly insulated attic. The heat lost from the inside melts snow, which freezes when it gets to the cold edge and causes ice dams and icicles. The bare roof is an area where the snow slid off (metal roof). The building manager says that they added ceiling insulation two years ago. They clearly did not seal ceiling air leaks. Air leaks can cause more heat loss than lack of insulation.

IMG_20190218_104821436_HDR.jpg

This photo shows a roof over a well insulated, and well air sealed, attic. Minimal heat loss equals no melting equals no ice dams or icicles. Also low heating bills, no drafts, and no cold areas in the house.
P2280069.JPG

Allowing warm humid air to flow into a cold attic causes the moisture in the air to condense on the underside of the roof. When temperatures rise in the spring, the frost melts and causes water damage inside the house. A local builder learned this the hard way and I made some money pointing it out. A friend also learned this after he fixed the kitchen exhaust fan and inadvertently created an air leak into the attic. Fortunately, we found the problem before the mold rotted out the roof.

Attachments

• IMG_20190218_104821436_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190218_104821436_HDR.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 433
  • P2280069.JPG
    P2280069.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 394
Likes Rive

1. What is heat recovery potential from domestic boilers and ovens?

The heat recovery potential from domestic boilers and ovens refers to the amount of waste heat that can be captured and reused from these household appliances. This waste heat is typically released into the environment, but with the use of heat recovery systems, it can be harnessed and used for other purposes.

2. How is heat recovered from domestic boilers and ovens?

Heat recovery from domestic boilers and ovens can be achieved through various methods such as using heat exchangers, which transfer the heat from the exhaust gases to a heat transfer fluid, or using a heat pump, which extracts heat from the exhaust gases and transfers it to a different location.

3. What are the benefits of utilizing heat recovery from domestic boilers and ovens?

The benefits of heat recovery from domestic boilers and ovens include energy and cost savings, reduced environmental impact, and increased efficiency of the appliances. By reusing waste heat, less energy is needed to operate the appliances, resulting in lower utility bills and a smaller carbon footprint.

4. Are there any limitations to heat recovery from domestic boilers and ovens?

Yes, there are some limitations to heat recovery from domestic boilers and ovens. The effectiveness of heat recovery systems depends on the type and condition of the appliance, as well as the design and installation of the system. Additionally, not all waste heat can be recovered, and the recovered heat may not be suitable for all purposes.

5. How can I determine the heat recovery potential of my domestic boiler and oven?

The heat recovery potential of your domestic boiler and oven can be determined by consulting with a professional and conducting an energy audit of your household. This will involve analyzing the energy consumption of your appliances and identifying opportunities for heat recovery. You can also research and compare the efficiency ratings of different appliances to determine which ones have a higher heat recovery potential.