1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat vs Cold Protection/Insulation

1. Jul 28, 2011 #1
    Hi, guys!

First of all, I am no physicist. I am an architect from Vietnam.

A few friends and I just had an discussion regarding heat and cold protection in general. Then came across a question of whether it is more difficult and energy consuming for heat protection or for cold protection, or is it the same. Let's take an example. We have a void cube (with air inside) of a certain peripheral insulation material. Let's say that we somehow adjust the inside temperature of the cube at 10 degrees Celsius and put the cube in a contant air (same type of air as in the cube) environment of 30 degrees Celsius and after 1 hour the temperature inside the cube is 15 degrees Celsius. The question is: if we adjust the inside temperature of the cube at 20 degrees Celsius and put the cube in a constant air (same type of air as in the cube) environment of 0 degree Celsius, what is the temperature inside the cube after 1 hour? Would it be 15 degress Celsius? or higher? or lower?

I would really appreciate the answer and full back up knowledge for that. Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted