Heating a house, energy loss to surroundings

In summary, the question asks for the average energy leaks in joules per second through the walls of a house that is kept at 20* C with an expenditure of 45 kwh over a period of 3 hours while the outside temperature is 0* C. The conversation discusses possible methods of solving the problem and concludes that the answer is 15 kw.
jbphysics
Tried to figure this out for a friend but couldn't quite get it. Here is the problem.

For 3 hours one winter afternoon, outside temp is 0* C. A house is heated and kept at 20* C with the expenditure of 45 kwh. What was the average energy leakes in joules per second through the walls of the house to the environment?

I'm sure this is a simple playing with numbers, but without the right answer i cannot be sure of my method. Help appreciated!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You could certainly calculate that the energy expenditure is 45 kwh*3 h= 135 kw. If the temperature in the house was originally 30 degrees and you used that energy to keep the house at that same temperature (i.e. did NOT change the total energy in the house) isn't it obvious that all of that 135 kw went outside?

this sound like homework to me?
but on a more serious note
expending 45kwh is not spending 45kw/h its expending 15kw for 3hrs
if you know your units the answer is right in fromt of you

the way I looked at it...
If no energy went into the heating system of the house to maintain that temperature of 20* C, the house would surely decrease in temperature since the surroundings are colder. I was thinking all of the 45kwh went into the houses heating system and some of the heat was lost due to the colder surroundings and a house that isn't perfectly insulated.

Is the wording "with the expenditure of 45 kwh" saying that's what was wasted, and it's simply asking me to find an average rate? The answer to this problem with numbers

2 hrs
47 kwh
is 23500 watts which goes along with phlegmy's response.

if you pump energy into [from any source] a house it must go somewhere!

1> it can cause the house to heat up OR
2> it can cause the house to move OR
3> it can cuase some chemical change within the house OR
4> it can leak out of the house.

if you pump an amount of energy "x" into a house and it doesn't heat up or move etc
then an amount of energy equal to "x" has leaked out of the house.

so if your heating system is using 10j/s and the house aint getting any hotter or colder
then 10j/s is leaking out somewhere

if your house gets hotter, less than 10j/s are leaking
if your house gets colder, more than 10j/s are leaking

if you then stop pumping energy into the house, it will continue to leak energy out, until it reaches the outside temprature, then it'll stop..

a much harder question would involve heating a house up from cold and maintaining it at a temprature, you would need much more information for such a problem, such as the size and material of the house, how much surface area is brick, how much is windows, and the thermal conductivities of each, etc etc.

you question appears much more simple.
if it uses 47kwh over 2hrs and the temp doesn't change then
23.5kw are leaking from the house

if it uses 45kwh over 3 hrs and the temp don't change then
15kw are leaking from the house

so for a question like this are we converting kw to watts and then multiplying it by 60 secs?

No, we are dividing energy by the time to get the power. Then kW must be converted to W, since the problem asks for the answer in J/s units.

oh ok thanks for the help

1. How does heat escape from a house?

Heat can escape from a house through various means, such as conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact, such as when heat passes through a window or door. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of air or liquid, which can occur through cracks and gaps in a house. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves, which can escape through walls and roofs.

2. What causes energy loss in a house?

Energy loss in a house is primarily caused by poor insulation and air leaks. Insulation helps to prevent heat from escaping through walls, floors, and roofs, while air leaks allow heat to escape and cold air to enter. Other factors that can contribute to energy loss include outdated heating systems, inefficient windows and doors, and lack of maintenance or upkeep.

3. How much energy is typically lost in a house?

The amount of energy lost in a house can vary depending on factors such as the age and size of the house, the insulation and sealing, and the climate. On average, it is estimated that 25-30% of energy used to heat a house is lost to the surroundings. This can result in higher energy bills and a less comfortable living environment.

4. How can I reduce energy loss in my house?

There are several ways to reduce energy loss in a house, including improving insulation, sealing air leaks, using energy-efficient windows and doors, and upgrading to a more efficient heating system. Regular maintenance and upkeep, such as cleaning and replacing air filters, can also help to improve energy efficiency. Additionally, simple habits like turning off lights and electronics when not in use can also make a difference.

5. Is it possible to heat a house without losing energy to the surroundings?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate energy loss in a house, it is possible to significantly reduce it through proper insulation and sealing. Additionally, using renewable energy sources, such as solar or geothermal, can help to minimize the amount of energy lost to the surroundings. By implementing energy-saving measures and choosing more sustainable energy sources, it is possible to greatly reduce the impact of energy loss on heating a house.