Thermodynamics (heat loss problem)

In summary, during a 4 hour winter afternoon, a house heated by electricity maintained a temperature of 20° C with the expenditure of 45 kwh of electric energy. The average energy leakage through the walls of the house to the environment was 11250W. If the temperature had been kept at 23° C, the amount of electricity consumed would have been 51.75 kwh. However, this calculation may not be accurate as the rate of energy transfer is often proportional to the temperature difference.
snowsquirrel1
During 4 hours one winter afternoon, when the outside temperature was 5° C, a house heated by electricity was kept at 20° C with the expenditure of 45 kwh (kilowatt·hours) of electric energy.
(a) What was the average energy leakage in joules per second (watts) through the walls of the house to the environment (the outside air and ground)?
(b) The rate at which energy is transferred between two systems due to a temperature difference is often proportional to their temperature difference. Assuming this to hold in this case, if the house temperature had been kept at 23° C (77° F), how many kwh of electricity would have been consumed?

E=W+Q

I did part a pretty quickly (getting 11250W), but I'm stuck on part B. If the energy transfer is proportional to their temp. difference, I assumed that I could use a proportion to solve it.

so I tried: 23/20=X/45, so X=51.75. Unfortunately it was wrong, and I can't figure out what to do. Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
snowsquirrel1 said:

(b) The rate at which energy is transferred between two systems due to a temperature difference is often proportional to their temperature difference.

See the underlined part above.

For part B, you are on the right track by using a proportion. However, you need to use the proportion to find the amount of energy consumed, not the temperature difference. The proportion should be set up as follows:

(23-5)/(20-5) = X/45

Solving for X, we get X = 51.75 kwh. This means that if the house temperature had been kept at 23° C, it would have consumed 51.75 kwh of electricity in 4 hours. This is an increase of 6.75 kwh compared to the original temperature of 20° C.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat and other forms of energy. It studies how energy is transferred between different objects and the effects of this transfer on the behavior of matter.

2. What is a heat loss problem in thermodynamics?

A heat loss problem in thermodynamics involves calculating the amount of heat that is lost from a system to its surroundings. This can occur in various situations, such as in a machine or a building, and is important in determining the overall efficiency of a system.

3. How is heat loss calculated in thermodynamics?

Heat loss is typically calculated using the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the amount of heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. This can be represented by the equation ΔU = Q - W, where ΔU is the change in internal energy, Q is the heat added, and W is the work done.

4. What factors affect heat loss in thermodynamics?

The rate of heat loss in thermodynamics is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the system and its surroundings, the thermal conductivity of the materials involved, and the surface area of the system. Additionally, the type of insulation and any external factors such as wind or sunlight can also impact heat loss.

5. How can heat loss problems be minimized in thermodynamics?

To minimize heat loss in thermodynamics, various methods of insulation can be used to reduce the temperature difference between the system and its surroundings. This can include using materials with low thermal conductivity, increasing the surface area of the system, and reducing any external factors that may contribute to heat loss. Additionally, proper maintenance and regular checks of the system can also help to identify and address any potential sources of heat loss.