Heating CaO to create intense light

In summary, the TV said that calcium oxide CaO is made by heating any material containing calcium carbonate CaCO3 to drive off carbon dioxide. If the quicklime is heated to extremely high temperatures (2400 C), it will give off an intense glow, which is called limelight.
fishtail
I saw on TV this morning how Thomas Drummond in 1829 created an intense light for use in a lighthouse in 1829, before electric lights. He heated calcium oxide with alcohol and oxygen to a very high temperature creating what is called limelight, later used in theatrical productions in the 19th century.
What is the chemistry behind this intense light creation by heating CaO?
The TV said the Calcium Oxide was burnt, but I don't see how that is possible.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Calcium oxide CaO is made by heating any material containing calcium carbonate CaCO3 to drive off carbon dioxide. The resulting product is called quicklime, and it will eventually react with the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and gradually turn back into calcium carbonate.

However, if the quicklime is heated to extremely high temperatures (2400 C), it will give off an intense glow, which is called limelight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_oxide

A similar (but more modern) light source is the 'Welsbach mantle' used in street gas lighting until recent times, and still seen in portable gas lamps.

There is no chemistry behind the light emitted, just physics - everything heated high enough will emit the light.

...and metal oxides can have a high melting point. However, there has to be a special reason for using rare metal oxides in the Welsbach mantle. I suppose that it has something to do with the emission spectrum of thorium...

Well anything heated to a very high temp is going to glow. My room is lit up by a tungsten filament glowing at about 2800 C. Is there anything special about CaO?. Can you use BaO , SrO, or a blob of anything that doesn't melt?

As I understand it, there are two reasons why some oxides are more apt to get high luminosity than others.
The highest thermal emission in a given frequency range does have a black body, which would appear completely black in the frequency range of interest. A grey body emits less radiation when heated.
Now these oxides have a high emitivity in the visible range and a low one in the infrared (as they are nearly transparent for infrared radiation) so that they get hotter than substances which have high emissions in the IR. I.e. there are less radiation losses in the IR region.
The other reason why to use rather exotic compounds like cerium oxides is that these oxides catalyze the oxidation reactions, so that heat is directly produced at their surface whence they get much hotter than other substances being brought into a flame.

DrDu said:
As I understand it, there are two reasons why some oxides are more apt to get high luminosity than others.
The highest thermal emission in a given frequency range does have a black body, which would appear completely black in the frequency range of interest.

A 'black body' in temperatures of the sort we're discussing, 2000-3000 ºC would appear very bright in the frequency range of interest, i.e., in visible wavelengths.

Of course. I was referring to it's appearance at room temperature.

1. How does heating CaO create intense light?

When CaO (calcium oxide) is heated, it undergoes a process called thermal decomposition, where it breaks down into calcium and oxygen atoms. This process releases a large amount of energy in the form of heat and light, which is why it appears to glow brightly.

2. What is the scientific explanation behind the intense light produced by heated CaO?

The intense light produced by heated CaO is a result of the atoms in the material becoming excited due to the high temperatures. As the atoms gain energy, they emit photons of light, resulting in the bright glow.

3. Is heating CaO the only way to produce intense light?

No, there are other methods of producing intense light, such as through chemical reactions or electrical stimulation. However, heating CaO is a common and efficient method, particularly in laboratory settings.

4. What are the practical uses of heating CaO to create intense light?

Heating CaO to create intense light has various applications, such as in thermoluminescence dating, where the amount of light emitted from heated CaO can determine the age of objects. It is also used in the manufacturing of incandescent light bulbs and in scientific experiments to study light and energy.

5. Is there any danger in heating CaO to create intense light?

Heating CaO can be dangerous if not done properly. The high temperatures and intense light produced can cause burns or start fires. It is important to follow proper safety precautions when handling heated CaO.