Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Heavy metals and semiconductors

1. Dec 29, 2016 #1
    Is there a list of semiconductors that are heavy metals?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2016 #2
  4. Dec 30, 2016 #3
    The reason I was asking for a list of heavy metal semiconductors was because I wanted to know which ones would be toxic. I checked the wikipedia page but was unable to find which ones were toxic.

5. Dec 30, 2016 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is puzzling. Just because an element by itself is toxic doesn't mean that in a compound, it is still toxic. You do not want to ingest sodium and inhale chlorine separately, but in NaCl, it can be consumed.

There are no "heavy metal" semiconductors, because by definition they are not! There are, however, semiconductors that have been doped with them, or that they are part of a compound that form the semiconductor. The toxicity of the semiconductor cannot be determined simply by the presence of a heavy metal element, but this is true with most material, so one has to assume that you do not want to swallow any of them.

Look up the MSDS of a particular compound or material that you are curious about. If it is toxic, it will state it there.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted