Height of Instrument (Leveling method)

In summary, the conversation is about a level survey and the calculation of the Reduced Level using the "Height of Instrument" method. The person is asking for general advice on how to proceed without a reduced level and if it is possible to continue the calculation without it. They also mention the importance of the height of instrument and reduced level in the calculation. The conversation ends with a question about the reference station and its RL.
King_Silver
I recently did a level survey however am a little stumped over a calculation. I am trying to calculate the Reduced Level using the "Height of Instrument" method. I know how to do the calculations etc. so I am not asking for this to be done for me. It is more of a general question about this sort of situation.

Below is an image attached of ALL the information recorded however it is obvious, without a reduced level I am unable to proceed in the calculations (or at least I think so).

To calculate the Reduced level under these restricting circumstances how would one go about this?
Do I take the original height of the instrument as the original backsight reading then calculate the reduced level this way?
As you can see from the example here the height of instrument and reduced level are essential to do this pretty simple calculation. Am I overlooking something small? can anybody shed light on how exactly one would go about calculating the initial reduced level and height of instrument with the given information attached because I am completely lost. Thank you.

Attachments

• table of results.png
    table of results.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 3,666
Engineering news on Phys.org
You are going to reduce all the heights to a local reference. What is that reference?
Was the instrument set up above a reference station at the start? What was the RL of that benchmark?

That's what I was thinking too, like is it even possible to continue this sort of calculation without the RL or initial instrument height?
I'm really left in the dark with this one.

1. What is the Height of Instrument method used for in surveying?

The Height of Instrument method, also known as the leveling method, is used to determine the elevation of a point above or below a reference datum. It is commonly used in surveying and construction to establish the relative heights of different points on the earth's surface.

2. How does the Height of Instrument method work?

In this method, a surveyor uses a leveling instrument, such as a level rod or a total station, to measure the vertical distance between the instrument and the point being surveyed. By taking multiple readings at different points, the surveyor can calculate the elevation of each point relative to the initial reference point.

3. What are the advantages of using the Height of Instrument method?

The Height of Instrument method is highly accurate and precise, making it a reliable method for determining elevation. It also allows for measurements to be taken over long distances, making it suitable for large-scale projects. Additionally, it requires minimal equipment and can be easily learned and performed by surveyors.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Height of Instrument method?

One limitation of this method is that it relies on a clear line of sight between the instrument and the point being surveyed. This can be challenging in areas with obstacles or uneven terrain. Additionally, the accuracy of the method can be affected by weather conditions, such as wind or temperature changes.

5. How is the Height of Instrument method different from other leveling methods?

The Height of Instrument method is a type of differential leveling, which means it measures the difference in elevation between two points. Other leveling methods, such as trigonometric leveling, use angles and mathematical calculations to determine elevation. The Height of Instrument method is also more commonly used for smaller-scale projects, while other methods may be more suitable for larger-scale projects.