Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle

1. Jan 10, 2009 #1
    As the above principle says, momentum and position can't be known both at the same time (Δx Δp ≥ h/4π); I am trying to find another example and I was thinking of energy and time following Einstein's box example....does anyone have an idea on whether it'c ocrrect or just another example?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Jan 10, 2009 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A great example is electron spin. An electron has 3 non-commuting spin components: x, y and z. Knowledge of any one means there is complete uncertainty in the other 2. You will often find it easier to appreciate the HUP if you consider spin rather than p or q. Ditto for photons.
  5. Jan 11, 2009 #4
    Just to recover that thread and not create a new one, can you please answer my question here?

What's the difference between the Δx * Δp = h/2pi and Δx * Δp = h/4pi equations I find everywhere on the internet and textbooks?

My High School book has the first one, yet I seem to meet the other one more frequently.

6. Jan 11, 2009 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

depends on conventions in the derivations I guess. I can derive so one get Δx * Δp > h-bar/2

Please note that sometimes you have h and sometimes h-bar.
  7. Jan 11, 2009 #6
    Yea so far I've seen these candidates for the place after >=

Interesting, so there isn't any standard formula you can use in any occasion? Or can you use any of these approximately?
  8. Jan 11, 2009 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well, you don't "use" HUP while solving REAL things ;-)

So it is no big deal.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?