Calculating Volume of Helium Balloon at Different Temperatures

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of a balloon filled with 9.9 g of liquid helium at different temperatures. The ideal-gas law is used to calculate the volume at 4.2 K, and then the volume at other temperatures can be found using the equation V1/T1=V2/T2=V3/T3=...=Vn/Tn. The density at 4.2 K is needed in order to calculate the volume at that temperature.
jagged06
Question from my homework. I'm not exactly sure what I am doing wrong, and it is bugging me. I hope this post is in the right forum.

Imagine that 9.9 g of liquid helium, initially at 4.20 K, evaporate into an empty balloon that is kept at 1.00-atm pressure. What is the volume of the balloon at the following?
(a) 23.0 K (b) 299 K

After missing the question, help was given, but I can't make sense of it:

Apply the ideal-gas law to find the volume of the gas at 4.2 K, and a fixed amount of gas to find its volume at the given temperatures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

you must have the density at 4.2 the you can calculate the volume at 4.2 . then you can calculate the volume at the other temperatures from the equation
V1/T1=V2/T2=V3/T3=...=Vn/Tn

What is the "Helium balloon problem"?

The Helium balloon problem is a physics experiment that involves filling a balloon with helium gas and observing its behavior in different conditions.

What are the main factors that affect the behavior of a helium balloon?

The behavior of a helium balloon is affected by several factors, including the amount of helium gas inside the balloon, the temperature and pressure of the surrounding environment, and the weight and shape of the balloon itself.

Why do helium balloons float?

Helium balloons float because helium gas is less dense than air. This means that the balloon, filled with helium gas, is lighter than the surrounding air and therefore will rise and float in the air.

How does temperature affect the floating behavior of a helium balloon?

Temperature plays a crucial role in the floating behavior of a helium balloon. As temperature increases, the molecules of helium gas inside the balloon gain more energy and move faster, causing the balloon to expand and become more buoyant. On the other hand, colder temperatures can cause the balloon to shrink and lose its ability to float.

What happens to a helium balloon when it is taken to a high altitude?

When a helium balloon is taken to a high altitude, the atmospheric pressure decreases. This causes the helium gas inside the balloon to expand, making the balloon bigger and more buoyant. However, as the balloon continues to rise, the air pressure becomes too low for the balloon to sustain its shape, and it eventually bursts.