Hello Back at school after 15yrs due to Covid/job loss

  • Thread starter Thread starter giraffasaurusrex
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 224 views
giraffasaurusrex
Messages
2
Reaction score
4
How did you find PF?
Panic googling!
Hi everyone (: I am fresh off the Covid redundancy bus and managed to get back into education at short notice after (more than) 15 years. I am really loving it, but it is hard waking my brain up again. I am working hard to improve but it feels quite full on and as a result I am panicking a bit, so I am desperate for any nudges in the right direction..!
^_^
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What courses are you taking?

Did you contract COVID? I've read where some folks experience cognitive issues as long-term symptoms.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: giraffasaurusrex
Oh sorry, no! I worked in the travel industry for a long time and was made redundant due to Covid destroying business..since it was my only marketable skill and I hated the idea of the only available crossovers (sales and merchandising), I found a scheme to help me go back to do engineering at school - which I already love but is tough after years of autopilot! I'm hoping it will take me somewhere I will be much happier..(and a bit more apocalypse proof!)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PeroK and berkeman
I imagine engineering is a whole new world. I know our school pushes students to use Matlab for all their work.

the best advice is stay focused don't fret, be quick to identify what you don't know and don't be afraid to ask questions and get help.

Also do lots of problems to get comfortable in organizing your thoughts as you write the steps to solve them.
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: giraffasaurusrex, sysprog and berkeman
jedishrfu said:
I imagine engineering is a whole new world. I know our school pushes students to use Matlab for all their work.

the best advice is stay focused don't fret, be quick to identify what you don't know and don't be afraid to ask questions and get help.

Also do lots of problems to get comfortable in organizing your thoughts as you write the steps to solve them.
This is great advice, thank you! (: