Going back to school to transition to engineering

In summary, you should not worry about being too old to pursue an engineering degree. If you can get a degree from a local university, it will be cheaper and you won't have to worry about English or Fine Arts classes.
A_Wellesley
Hello all. My question is going to require some background.

I'm 23 years old. In 2011 I graduated with a BA in Political Science from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. I've had a lifelong passion for aviation. After college, I decided to enter a professional program at a local community college to become an aircraft mechanic. In doing so, I've discovered a love for learning how mechanical things work the way they do that goes beyond just fixing them, as well as rekindling a long lost love for science and technology.

As a result, I've become interested in going back to school to become an engineer. My end game scenario, ideally, would be to work for someone like SpaceX, Virgin Galactic, Blue Origin, etc. The plan to get there would involve going back to UNCG this fall and either getting a 4 year physics degree and moving on to a Masters of Aeronautical Engineering program, or doing a pre-engineering transfer program they have that would allow me to go to NC State for AE in 1-2 years, and then do the masters.

My quandary, however, is a combination of my current age and the length of study. I am concerned that I will be approaching 30 or over 30 by the time I finish with all of this, and will never have worked a full time job in the industry. I am hoping that once I finish with my aircraft mechanic program (summer of 2013) I will be able to go to school and work full time 2nd shift, at least for a year or two of industry experience, and then combine this with my education. But I don't know if that will be possible yet.

So, gentlemen of this physics forum that I recently discovered: what say you? Am I too far behind the curve to be considering this? I am afraid I will finish everything up and be competing with people who are my age now with the same or similar qualifications to mine, and I'll be 4-5 years older without a lot of professional experience. I suppose internships are an option but, again, I am concerned about my age and my status as a second degree student instead of an initial undergrad.

Any help or advice that anyone can give will be most welcome. Thank you very much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you're going to be 30 someday no matter what you do. It's up to you to decide whether you reach that with or without an engineering degree.

If you are worried about time, though, I would not start with a physics degree. If you want to be an engineer, get an engineering degree.

Well, it's a matter of what I'm able to get, for what cost, in what amount of time.

I can go back to my local university where I got my first degree, it's cheap, and I don't have to move or worry about all of the annoying core classes like English or Fine Arts. I've already done all that. All I need to do is go back and take the math and science stuff. Of course, I can transfer out to get a BS in Engineering, but either way I'll be starting out in physics.

1. What are the benefits of going back to school to transition to engineering?

Going back to school to transition to engineering can provide many benefits, such as expanding your knowledge and skillset, increasing your job opportunities and earning potential, and providing a sense of personal fulfillment and achievement.

2. Can I transition to engineering without a degree in a related field?

While having a degree in a related field can be advantageous, it is not always necessary to transition to engineering. Many universities and colleges offer engineering programs specifically designed for individuals with non-engineering backgrounds. Additionally, gaining relevant work experience and obtaining certifications can help you transition to engineering without a degree in a related field.

3. What types of engineering degrees are available?

There are several types of engineering degrees available, including civil engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, chemical engineering, and computer engineering. Each discipline focuses on different aspects of engineering, and it is important to research and choose the one that aligns with your interests and career goals.

4. How long does it take to complete an engineering degree?

The length of time it takes to complete an engineering degree varies depending on the program and your individual circumstances. On average, an undergraduate engineering degree takes four years to complete, while a graduate degree can take an additional one to two years. Part-time and online programs may take longer to complete.

5. What skills are necessary for a successful transition to engineering?

Some essential skills for a successful transition to engineering include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and a strong foundation in math and science. Additionally, effective communication, teamwork, and time management skills are crucial for working in the engineering field.