1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help a highschooler with physics homework?

1. Sep 14, 2006 #1
    We just started vectors today and introduced the I and J axes. He insists we use I and J instead of X and Y, thats okay.

So basically here is the question asked:

A person riding a bike has a velocity v=32m/s I + 12m/s J. Determine the magnitude of hte velocity and hte bikes direction. Determine the total distance traveled by the person on the bike after 120 seconds.

SO my first step I would think is to draw quadrant 1 of an XY plane. Is the direction northeast? I would imagine this is the case because there is no mention of any negative velocities, so quadrant 1 is + in both axes.
    TO determine the magnitude of velocities...
    Do I simply draw a right triangle, with point (0,0) as the vertex with a 90 degree? Move up 32 in the I, and 12 in hte J?
    Then use A^2+B^2=C^2 to find the hypotenuse? The hypotenuse being the magnitude?

I THINK that part I have right. BUt it is the total distance that stumps me, can somebody give some insight?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're correct about how to find the magnitude of the velocity.

Keep in mind that "the magnitude of the velocity" is a fancy way of saying "speed." Once you've found the speed, just multiply it by time to get distance.

- Warren
  4. Sep 14, 2006 #3
    oooh, that threw me off. Speed makes it all come together in my mind :). Well now, I get 34.18m/s as a magnitude of velocity. So x 120 and 4101.6m

Thanks! I will have more questions to come tomorrow I am SURE
  5. Sep 14, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Excellent homework post. By the way, there's a forum dedicated to those somewhere around here...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?