Help a highschooler with physics homework?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of I and J axes in vector problems and determines the magnitude and direction of a bike's velocity using these axes. The total distance traveled is also calculated by multiplying the speed (or magnitude of velocity) by time. The individual also expresses plans to ask more questions in the future.
phantomcow2
We just started vectors today and introduced the I and J axes. He insists we use I and J instead of X and Y, that's okay.

So basically here is the question asked:

A person riding a bike has a velocity v=32m/s I + 12m/s J. Determine the magnitude of hte velocity and hte bikes direction. Determine the total distance traveled by the person on the bike after 120 seconds.

SO my first step I would think is to draw quadrant 1 of an XY plane. Is the direction northeast? I would imagine this is the case because there is no mention of any negative velocities, so quadrant 1 is + in both axes.
TO determine the magnitude of velocities...
Do I simply draw a right triangle, with point (0,0) as the vertex with a 90 degree? Move up 32 in the I, and 12 in hte J?
Then use A^2+B^2=C^2 to find the hypotenuse? The hypotenuse being the magnitude?

I THINK that part I have right. BUt it is the total distance that stumps me, can somebody give some insight?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're correct about how to find the magnitude of the velocity.

Keep in mind that "the magnitude of the velocity" is a fancy way of saying "speed." Once you've found the speed, just multiply it by time to get distance.

- Warren

oooh, that threw me off. Speed makes it all come together in my mind :). Well now, I get 34.18m/s as a magnitude of velocity. So x 120 and 4101.6m

Thanks! I will have more questions to come tomorrow I am SURE

Excellent homework post. By the way, there's a forum dedicated to those somewhere around here...

What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that in any physical or chemical process, the total amount of energy remains constant.

How do I calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length traveled, while displacement is the shortest distance between the initial and final positions. Displacement also takes into account direction, whereas distance does not.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity is the rate at which an object is moving in a specific direction. In other words, velocity takes into account both speed and direction, while speed only considers magnitude.

How do I calculate work?

Work can be calculated by multiplying force by distance. The formula for work is W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance. Work is typically measured in joules (J).