Help Choosing Physics Course: Theoretical vs Experimental Focus

• Courses
  • Thread starter Waxbear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary, the conversation revolves around the decision of whether to take a course in computer science or analytical mechanics. The participants discuss the importance and usefulness of both courses, with some recommending taking both, while others suggest prioritizing analytical mechanics. Ultimately, the decision is made to take analytical mechanics, with the understanding that computer science can be learned through experience.
Waxbear
Okay, I am about to finish the first year of my Bachelor in Physics. My hope is to take a Ph.D in Physics (not sure what field yet) and i have not quite yet decided whether i want to focus on theoretical physics or experimental physics, though I'm leaning towards experimental.

In about 4 hours (yes i realize this i last minute) i have to choose whether I want to take a course called "Computer Science for physicists" or "Analytical Mechanics". Both are 7.5 ECTS courses.

"CS for physicists" focus ONLY on the MATLAB suite and in-depth knowledge of the MATLAB language. It also briefly covers general procedures in making a program, such as efficiency, testing, debugging etc.

Analytical Mechanics is about, well.. Analytical Mechanics. Using generalized coordinates to re-write the equations of motion as Lagrangian equations. Canonical variables. Hamiltonian equations of motion, and transformation of generalized coordinates. The course also briefly covers Chaos and non-linear dynamic systems. The course also covers the history behind the development from Newtonian Mechanics to Analytical Mechanics and how this led to QM, which we will also be having next year.

I would love to hear some experiences, opinions and advice from someone who have progressed further down the academic path/career than i have. For example, is there anyone of these that is more important for an experimentalist/theoretical physicist? How important is it to know Analytical Mechanics vs. MATLAB etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, sounds just like the analytical mechanics course I just had. I'm surprised you aren't required to take both, I have a CS course in my 1st and 3rd academic years.

Analytical mechanics is tough stuff, but pretty cool. Probably nowhere near as practical as a CS course but... you can always learn a programming language or something better than matlab(like mathematica) on your own.

If feel you're not motivated enough to learn programming on your own, then take the CS course, its what I would do. Although MATLAB doesn't appeal to me much, the challenge of having to do continuous work and programs is sure as hell going to teach you a lot.

I already know a bit of MATLAB and I'm learning Java. We use MATLAB all the time so i guess it's going to come naturally and i have no problem learning it on my own. But if Analytical Mechanics isn't very useful, then i figured i might as well take the CS course and learn programming now. So i guess "How useful is analytical mechanics?" is a key question.

Ideally, you should take both before you are done.

However, if you can only take one, take analytical mechanics. Analytical mechanics will be essential for any physicist, regardless of whether they do theory or experiment. A good background in intermediate classical mechanics will help immensely when you take your upper division quantum mechanics and electromagnetism courses. You will also learn many mathematical methods that are essential for further study in physics. (Ex. Feynman's path integral approach to quantum mechanics and quantum field theory is based on the Lagrangian function, which you will learn about first in this analytical mechanics course.)

Of course, MATLAB is important for research work. Everyone I know uses it or has used it at some point for their research. I personally use it all the time. (I am an experimentalist.) However, MATLAB can be picked up through experience (internships, undergrad research programs, side projects, etc.) You should have a professor on hand while learning classical mechanics.

Last edited:
I guess its less useful than CS, no matter what you choose to do (experimental or theory).

But a physics degree without an advanced classical mechanics course is... bizarre. Wouldn't you feel like you're missing something? :p

I am currently doing classical EM on a high level, and will be taking the next EM course while also taking this AM or CS course. I am very happy to hear an opinion about the importance of AM, since i have absolutely no idea about how useful it is. Thank you, both of you!

Lavabug said:
Wouldn't you feel like you're missing something? :p

Yes that is exactly how I'm feeling, which is why I'm leaning towards AM. But if it was a useless course then i might pick CS.

I'd say... do both, and do AM first. Its satisfying, just not super practical. You can improve your programming skills on your own if you choose to pick only AM.

Waxbear said:
But if it was a useless course then i might pick CS.

What makes you think AM would be useless in the first place?

Honestly, I'm surprised you even have a choice regarding that course. Most physics programs (rightfully) require all physics majors to take it.

G01 said:
What makes you think AM would be useless in the first place?

Honestly, I'm surprised you even have a choice regarding that course. Most physics programs (rightfully) require all physics majors to take it.

Nothing makes me think that. But since we aren't forced to take it, i thought it might only be useful for certain fields or interests.

I'm at the university of Copenhagen, they may be doing things differently than most Universities, i don't know.

Waxbear said:
I'm at the university of Copenhagen, they may be doing things differently than most Universities, i don't know.

Now that just warrants a pun/joke about QM, but I'm not clever enough to think of one.

Lavabug said:
Now that just warrants a pun/joke about QM, but I'm not clever enough to think of one.

Hehe, they have a different interpretation of which courses are necessary, how's that for a BAD pun :P

Lavabug said:

Waxbear said:
Hehe, they have a different interpretation of which courses are necessary, how's that for a BAD pun :P

:uhh:

Well i might be able to do both, but i won't be able to do the one i don't choose now until my 3rd year. I have just chosen AM, mainly considering the fact that i will be picking up CS along the way.

Thank you for your help!

1. What is the difference between a theoretical and experimental physics course?

A theoretical physics course focuses on developing and understanding physical theories, mathematical models, and concepts to explain natural phenomena. It involves using mathematical and analytical tools to solve problems and make predictions. On the other hand, an experimental physics course emphasizes hands-on experimentation and data collection to test and validate existing theories and discover new ones.

2. Which type of physics course is more suitable for me?

This ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals. If you enjoy solving complex mathematical problems and have a strong background in mathematics, a theoretical physics course may be a better fit. If you prefer hands-on activities and practical application of scientific concepts, an experimental physics course may be more suitable.

3. What are the main topics covered in a theoretical physics course?

A theoretical physics course typically covers topics such as classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and relativity. It also involves learning mathematical concepts such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra.

4. What skills are required for an experimental physics course?

An experimental physics course requires strong critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and proficiency in data analysis and interpretation. It also involves practical skills such as setting up experiments, using laboratory equipment, and collecting accurate data.

5. Can I take both theoretical and experimental physics courses?

Yes, many universities offer both theoretical and experimental physics courses, and it is common for students to take both. This can provide a well-rounded understanding of physics and allow you to explore different areas of interest within the field.