1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Finding path of a particle with an intial position and initial velocity

1. May 13, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone,

I am having trouble finding the answer to a homework problem. I don't seem to understand what the question is exactly asking for. The problem is:

find the path of a particle with an initial position 10er + 1.0eϴ and an initial velocity 0.1er + 0.8eϴ

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2012 #2
    Have you considered using the kinematics for cylindrical coordinates?

4. May 13, 2012 #3
    the equations I am thinking about using are

Cylindrical coordinates: r, ∅, z
    x=rcos∅ y=rsin∅

Spherical Coordinates: r, θ, ∅
    x=rsinθcos∅ y=rsinθsin∅ z=rcosθ

I also know an equation for velocity as v=[itex]\dot{r}[/itex]er + r[itex]\dot{θ}[/itex]eθ

I'm still very confused as to what to do with all these equations to find the path of the particle. Please Help.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  5. May 13, 2012 #4
    Those equations look like they are for converting from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical / spherical coordinates.

Try looking around in your book for the kinematic equations in cylindrical / spherical form. If they aren't in your book you could try going to this link

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_of_motion

and try looking for them by Crtl+F and typing in what you're looking for.

I haven't ever worked with those coordinate systems and kinematic equations before, otherwise I would be more helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook