Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help finishing connectedness proof.

1. May 10, 2012 #1
    Been having trouble with connectedness. Tried out a problem to practice and not sure how to finish it.

The problem is this:

Let A and B be closed subsets of the space X. If A U B and A n B are connected, so also are A and B. Show by counter-example that both A and B must be closed, i.e., if one of A and B is not closed then in general the thm fails.

My proof went like this:

Let C = A ᴜ B. Suppose that U, V give a separation of C, where U and V are open in C.
    Since A is connected, we must have A ᴜ U or A ᴜ V (otherwise, A ∩ U and A ∩ V give a separation of A).
    Without loss of generality, assume A ᴜ U. Since A ∩ B = Ø and B is connected,
    we must have B ᴜ U. This implies that C ᴜ U, and therefore, V = Ø.
    This contradicts that U, V is a separation of C. Hence the sets A or B must be closed,

The response I got back was this:

To prove your result, assume (to get a contradiction) that one of the closed sets, A or B is not connected. WOLOG, we may assume it is A. Then there are open sets V and W in X s.t. A= (A ∩V) U (A∩ W) and = (A ∩V) ∩ (A∩ W)=ᴓ.
    Now, you should be able to use V and W to build a separation of either AUB or A∩B. (Try “unioning“ B to both sides of the above equations, and it may give you an idea of what to use for a separation.)

I thought I was doing it right, but by my professor's response, I'm not sure. Could anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong and what he means by "unioning" B to both sides?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2012 #2

You already repeated this several times to be a mere mistake: you write "we must have [itex]\,A\cup U\,\,or\,\,A\cup V\,[/itex]", and then again " assume [itex]\,A\cup U\,[/itex]"

WHAT are we assuming, anyway?? My guess is that you actually mean "assume [itex]\,A\cup U=A\,[/itex]" , but then what do you expect from this?

I think you first must be clear above in order to meet your instructor's criticism.

DonAntonio

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook