1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help getting started - just advice, no answers please!

1. Apr 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The 9 N cradle is supported as shown by two uniform disks that roll without slipping at all surfaces of contact. The weight of each disk is w=6 N and the radius of each disk is r=10 cm. knowing that the system is initially at rest, determine the largest velocity Vc of the cradle, for the three cases shown below, after it has moved 45 cm.

[PLAIN]http://www.pimpmyshu.com/images/stories/dyn1.jpg [Broken]

I'm having trouble getting started with this question so I was hoping for some advice on what areas to look into that would help with this question and where I could find relevant equations etc that I could use to solve it.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2010 #2
    A starting point is F=ma. Then consider that you have other information given. What principle could make use of that information?
  4. Apr 19, 2010 #3
    f=ma as pongo mentioned
    probably start with a free body diagram which identifies the forces on the body u r interested in.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook