HELP How to find a method to determine the molar mass of a soluble acid X?

  • Thread starter Thread starter don1231915
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acid Mass Method
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
don1231915
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
HELP! How to find a method to determine the molar mass of a soluble acid X??

Homework Statement


I am provided with the following apparatus:
Monobasic Acid (KHC6H4O6) - Potassium Phthalate (Mr of about 202.4)
Aqueous Sodium Hydroxide (0.1M)
Indicator
Acid X monobasic (whose molar mass I have to find!)
Normal laboratory equipment

The question is to design a method to find the molar mass of the soluble acid x



Homework Equations


ACID + OH -- H20 + ACIDrest (I got this from my friend but I have no clue what this has to do with the stuff I have said above)


The Attempt at a Solution



What I came up with after a lot of thinking was a simple titration
I could titrate with NaOH. But then I am not sure whether to use some amount of acid x or the mixture of acid x and potassium phthalate or just potassium phthalate. I am really confused here!


Please Please HELP!
 
Physics news on Phys.org


How many grams of acid material were weighed and dissolved for preparation for the titration?

How many moles of sodium hydroxide titrant at 0.1 M were used for the titration?

Could the neutralization reaction be represented as:
HX + NaOH ---------> NaX + HOH

? Then how many moles of sodium hydroxide are required for one mole of HX ?

If you want to find molar mass, then are you looking for how many grams per mole is the acid "HX"?