Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help: MATLAB time step function

1. Jan 11, 2015 #1
    Hi guys I'm new to MATLAB but now i need to use it for my study. I've tried to learn by myself to run it but unfortunately it failed, so I need some guidance on how to run following time step function in MATLAB

St = St-1 + Pt - ETt, St-1 + Pt - ETt ≤ Smax
    = Smax, St-1 + Pt - ETt > Smax

then

Rt = 0, St-1 + Pt - ETt ≤ Smax
    = Pt - (Smax - St-1) - ETt, St-1 + Pt - ETt > Smax

Pt = rainfall depth
    ETt = evapotranspiration rate
    S = Retained rainwater depth in substrate
    Smax = maximum retention capacity
    R = runoff
    it is a hourly time step function, hourly rainfall data for a year will be inserted to the function
    i would be really appreciated if anyone could help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2015 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have a hard time understanding what your equations are trying to do,( although I think I can guess). Do commas separate equations? If so, what does "=Smax," at the beginning of line 2 mean? It may help if you add some comments and break up the lines into simpler parts. You will want to do that in the MATLAB code anyway. When code doesn't work, try to do calculations in baby steps. You can combine them later into more complicated equations.
    [Edit] Oh, I see now that the comma means 'if' Maybe you should post the MATLAB code that you tried to run.

4. Jan 12, 2015 #3
    thank you for your kind response, maybe you can refer to the pic below & the function actually looks like this Function.jpg
    i don't know how to explain the commas (sorry i'm not good in explaining things) , but its similar to simple function like this
    Rt = (R1, R2, R3...) where R1, R2, R3 is the Rt calculated at every hour.
    In this case, Smax = 16mm, Rt and St equations are different before and after it reach Smax

5. Jan 12, 2015 #4

kreil

Gold Member

Can you show what you tried to do for this so far? At the very least you should give more info about what is constant and what isn't, so that we can better help. Also show some sample data that will be fed in.

It should be rather straightforward to loop through your data and calculate these values once the problem is properly stated.

6. Jan 12, 2015 #5

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok. Here is something to get you started. I am at home and can't test this, so you will probably have to work on it to get it to run correctly. Also, you may have to change the indices of P and ET to get everything lined up correctly.

Code (Text):

% find out how much data there is
    [num_Pts, temp] = size(P);

% set initial values for t=1;
    S(1) = 0;  % initial amount in the substrate
    P(1) = 0;
    ET(1) = 0;

% loop through the data and do the calculations
    for t=(2:num_Pts)
       % calculate total  for time t as though there is no limit
       before_limiting = S(t-1) + P(t) - ET(t);

% if the limit is not exceeded, it is all retained in S and there is no runoff R
       if before_limiting <= Smax
          S(t) = before_limiting;
          R(t) = 0;
       else
       % if the limit is exceeded, the max is retained in S and the rest is runoff
          S(t) = Smax;
          R(t) = before_limiting - Smax;
       end
    end

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook