Help: MATLAB time step function

In summary, the function calculates the amount of retained rainwater at each hour based on the data input. If the data reaches a limit, it sets the value of S to the maximum value and calculates the runoff value based on the difference between the before limit and the maximum.
TheodoreCT
Hi guys I'm new to MATLAB but now i need to use it for my study. I've tried to learn by myself to run it but unfortunately it failed, so I need some guidance on how to run following time step function in MATLAB

St = St-1 + Pt - ETt, St-1 + Pt - ETt ≤ Smax
= Smax, St-1 + Pt - ETt > Smax

then

Rt = 0, St-1 + Pt - ETt ≤ Smax
= Pt - (Smax - St-1) - ETt, St-1 + Pt - ETt > Smax

Pt = rainfall depth
ETt = evapotranspiration rate
S = Retained rainwater depth in substrate
Smax = maximum retention capacity
R = runoff
it is a hourly time step function, hourly rainfall data for a year will be inserted to the function
i would be really appreciated if anyone could help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a hard time understanding what your equations are trying to do,( although I think I can guess). Do commas separate equations? If so, what does "=Smax," at the beginning of line 2 mean? It may help if you add some comments and break up the lines into simpler parts. You will want to do that in the MATLAB code anyway. When code doesn't work, try to do calculations in baby steps. You can combine them later into more complicated equations.
[Edit] Oh, I see now that the comma means 'if' Maybe you should post the MATLAB code that you tried to run.

FactChecker said:
I have a hard time understanding what your equations are trying to do,( although I think I can guess). Do commas separate equations? If so, what does "=Smax," at the beginning of line 2 mean? It may help if you add some comments and break up the lines into simpler parts. You will want to do that in the MATLAB code anyway. When code doesn't work, try to do calculations in baby steps. You can combine them later into more complicated equations.
[Edit] Oh, I see now that the comma means 'if' Maybe you should post the MATLAB code that you tried to run.

thank you for your kind response, maybe you can refer to the pic below & the function actually looks like this
Function.jpg

i don't know how to explain the commas (sorry I'm not good in explaining things) , but its similar to simple function like this
Rt = (R1, R2, R3...) where R1, R2, R3 is the Rt calculated at every hour.
In this case, Smax = 16mm, Rt and St equations are different before and after it reach Smax

Can you show what you tried to do for this so far? At the very least you should give more info about what is constant and what isn't, so that we can better help. Also show some sample data that will be fed in.

It should be rather straightforward to loop through your data and calculate these values once the problem is properly stated.

Ok. Here is something to get you started. I am at home and can't test this, so you will probably have to work on it to get it to run correctly. Also, you may have to change the indices of P and ET to get everything lined up correctly.

Code:
% find out how much data there is
[num_Pts, temp] = size(P);

% set initial values for t=1;
S(1) = 0;  % initial amount in the substrate
P(1) = 0;
ET(1) = 0;

% loop through the data and do the calculations
for t=(2:num_Pts)
   % calculate total  for time t as though there is no limit
   before_limiting = S(t-1) + P(t) - ET(t);

% if the limit is not exceeded, it is all retained in S and there is no runoff R
   if before_limiting <= Smax
      S(t) = before_limiting;
      R(t) = 0;
   else
   % if the limit is exceeded, the max is retained in S and the rest is runoff
      S(t) = Smax;
      R(t) = before_limiting - Smax;
   end
end

1. What is a time step function in MATLAB?

A time step function in MATLAB is a built-in function that allows you to specify the time intervals at which a particular process or function is evaluated. This is useful for analyzing systems that change over time, such as in simulations or data analysis.

2. How do I use the time step function in MATLAB?

To use the time step function in MATLAB, you first need to define the time interval at which you want to evaluate your process or function. Then, use the "timestep" function to specify this time interval as an input argument in your code. This will ensure that your process is evaluated at the desired time intervals.

3. What is the default time step in MATLAB?

The default time step in MATLAB is 1 second. This means that if you do not specify a time step using the "timestep" function, MATLAB will automatically use a time interval of 1 second for your process or function.

4. Can I change the time step during a simulation in MATLAB?

Yes, you can change the time step during a simulation in MATLAB. This can be done by using the "set_param" function to change the value of the "FixedStep" parameter in the simulation settings. You can also use the "set_param" function to specify a variable time step, which allows the time interval to change dynamically based on the behavior of your system.

5. How do I troubleshoot issues with the time step function in MATLAB?

If you are experiencing issues with the time step function in MATLAB, first check that you have correctly defined the time interval and used the "timestep" function in your code. You can also try changing the time step value to see if it affects the accuracy or behavior of your process. If you are still having trouble, consult the MATLAB documentation or seek assistance from the MATLAB community forums.