Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me figure out what's different in Paul Berg's protein biosynthesis video

1. Mar 25, 2008 #1
    <- Paul Berg's Protein synthesis: an epic at the cellular level

Chances are if you took a biology class where you learned about the cell, you saw this video when you went over protein synthesis at the ribosomal level. In the beginning of the video Paul Berg provides a very brief overview of how it all works and how it will appear in the interpretive dance. When my professor showed it to the class he pointed out a couple of things that researchers discovered since the making of the video. I've been trying to figure out what they are because I didn't write it in my notes and it's been driving me crazy.

I noticed there's no mention of A P and E sites? In the video Berg only shows the tRNAs going in and then out of the ribosome and peptidyl-aminosyntase on the large subunit. Beyond that I can't really figure anything out. Any help would be great!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2008 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, someone wasted 15 min of your life showing you that video? I've never seen it before, but I cannot see how that could help you learn anything after the introductory lecture part that anyone could have given. The "interpretive dance" part was really quite a confusing jumble. It's a very simplified version. There are much better animations around if you wanted to see the process illustrated.

4. Mar 25, 2008 #3
    Nah he didn't show the whole thing. It was a "haha check this thing out how crazy they were in the 70s". We saw the Paul Berg's short explanation and then my prof pointed out a couple of things that were discovered since then that they didn't know when the video was made. I'm trying to figure out those differences because I like linking the video to friends and I want to be able to tell them what those things are.

Anyway, have you tried watching the video... ON WEED?

5. Mar 26, 2008 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There have been quite a few things discovered since the making of that video, so I really don't know which ones your prof pointed out. I'm sure s/he wouldn't mind if you dropped an email or stayed a few minutes after class to tell him/her you're curious about the things mentioned but didn't get them all into your notes, and if s/he could tell you the list again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?