Help me figure out what's different in Paul Berg's protein biosynthesis video

In summary: Nah he didn't show the whole thing. It was a "haha check this thing out how crazy they were in the 70s". We saw the Paul Berg's short explanation and then my prof pointed out a couple of things that were discovered since then that they didn't know when the video was made. I'm trying to figure out those differences because I like linking the video to friends and I want to be able to tell them what those things are.
naele
<- Paul Berg's Protein synthesis: an epic at the cellular level

Chances are if you took a biology class where you learned about the cell, you saw this video when you went over protein synthesis at the ribosomal level. In the beginning of the video Paul Berg provides a very brief overview of how it all works and how it will appear in the interpretive dance. When my professor showed it to the class he pointed out a couple of things that researchers discovered since the making of the video. I've been trying to figure out what they are because I didn't write it in my notes and it's been driving me crazy.

I noticed there's no mention of A P and E sites? In the video Berg only shows the tRNAs going in and then out of the ribosome and peptidyl-aminosyntase on the large subunit. Beyond that I can't really figure anything out. Any help would be great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Wow, someone wasted 15 min of your life showing you that video? I've never seen it before, but I cannot see how that could help you learn anything after the introductory lecture part that anyone could have given. The "interpretive dance" part was really quite a confusing jumble. It's a very simplified version. There are much better animations around if you wanted to see the process illustrated.

Moonbear said:
Wow, someone wasted 15 min of your life showing you that video? I've never seen it before, but I cannot see how that could help you learn anything after the introductory lecture part that anyone could have given. The "interpretive dance" part was really quite a confusing jumble. It's a very simplified version. There are much better animations around if you wanted to see the process illustrated.

Nah he didn't show the whole thing. It was a "haha check this thing out how crazy they were in the 70s". We saw the Paul Berg's short explanation and then my prof pointed out a couple of things that were discovered since then that they didn't know when the video was made. I'm trying to figure out those differences because I like linking the video to friends and I want to be able to tell them what those things are.

Anyway, have you tried watching the video... ON WEED?

There have been quite a few things discovered since the making of that video, so I really don't know which ones your prof pointed out. I'm sure s/he wouldn't mind if you dropped an email or stayed a few minutes after class to tell him/her you're curious about the things mentioned but didn't get them all into your notes, and if s/he could tell you the list again.

1. What is the purpose of Paul Berg's protein biosynthesis video?

The purpose of Paul Berg's protein biosynthesis video is to explain the process of protein biosynthesis, also known as protein synthesis, in a visual and easy-to-understand manner.

2. Who is Paul Berg and why is his video important?

Paul Berg is a Nobel Prize-winning biochemist who is known for his pioneering work in the field of recombinant DNA technology. His video on protein biosynthesis is important because it provides a clear understanding of this essential biological process.

3. How does the video explain the process of protein biosynthesis?

The video explains the process of protein biosynthesis by breaking it down into smaller steps and using visual aids such as animations and diagrams. It also includes clear explanations of the roles of different molecules and enzymes involved in the process.

4. What are the key differences between protein biosynthesis in eukaryotes and prokaryotes?

The video highlights several key differences between protein biosynthesis in eukaryotes and prokaryotes, including the presence of a nucleus and the involvement of different types of ribosomes in the two types of cells. It also explains how these differences affect the overall process of protein biosynthesis.

5. Can the video be used as a teaching tool for students?

Yes, the video can be used as a teaching tool for students as it provides a clear and concise explanation of protein biosynthesis. It can also be used as a supplement to lectures and textbooks to enhance understanding of this topic.