1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me find Work Experience Placements

1. Jul 5, 2007 #1

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Help me find Work Experience Placements!!

O noo! I've left it to the last minute, everyone else seems to have work experience placements even though its still months away !! And worst of all, I sent in a few emails to a local University, lazy try i know, and they didn't reply. Does anyone know what title the person who handles work experience placements in a university has? Then I could try to find a phone number for them.

Worst case Scenario and I can't get into a University, what other places would a kid wanted to be a pure mathematician be able to go? I can't think of any...

EDIT: O and did I mention ..I lied to my Career's adviser saying I already have a position because he was going to bite my head off if i didnt >.<..

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2007 #2
    go to the university and talk to people

4. Jul 5, 2007 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I plan on doing that in a few days, since I need to go to their library anyway, But from what i heard from my sister most people are on holiday :(

5. Jul 5, 2007 #4
    what holiday? summer session is in

6. Jul 5, 2007 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I live in Australia, maybe things are different here :( Sydney Incase anyone else knows how to get me a position in Sydney! Im desperate!

7. Jul 5, 2007 #6
    there are like 4 universities, try them all.

8. Jul 5, 2007 #7

Gib Z

Homework Helper

What do I try though? Who would I ask?

9. Jul 5, 2007 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I know nothing about the Australian education system, but I would say you should firstly contact the administrator of the department. For example, sydney universtiy's administrator is found here. Ask if they can either help you, or point you towards someone who can help. Interestingly, this university has a "secondary school liason" email address, so it may be worth trying that also.

10. Jul 5, 2007 #9
    Contact the academic advisor of the departments you're interested in. Every Australian uni dept. has one. And while it is currently winter break, you'll find that since marks are being released either this week or next week, that academic advisors SHOULD be around to help students sort out their course selections for next semester.

I know a few prof's in Sydney, but none in the area you're interested in. Seriously, just ring up/email the academic advisors or department secretary's at MQ, UTS, UNSW or wherever you wanted to go and explain. At my uni (in Qld) we currently have a work experience kid who more or less just emailed the manager of our research centre and sorted it out. Uni's are looking for self-starters, people who aren't going to sit around waiting for someone else to sort stuff out for them :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?