Work experience placement ideas.

In summary, the speaker is in year 9 of secondary school and wants to become a theoretical physicist. They have almost completed module 1 of their linear G.C.S.E. physics course and are now looking for a work experience placement. They are considering applying for a placement at a Russel Group university and have questions about what they will do, what they should know, and how to apply. They have also been advised to focus on getting into the right university program and taking challenging mathematics courses.
Ryanzmw
Hey, I'm currently in year 9 in secondary school and am aspiring to become a theoretical physicist. Since my year is taking linear G.C.S.E. physics and all the exams are taken at the end of the 11th year our school is taking ages teaching all of G.C.S.E. physics and over a year we have almost completed module 1.
Since its taken so long to complete module 1, I've learned most of the whole course and quite a bit of particle physics I am now looking for a work experience placement. How can I find a good physics placement where I can see how physicists work on problems.
I'm thinking of applying for work experience at a Russel Group univerisity, and my questions are these: What will I do, What would I be expected to know, and what should my letter say, and how do I apply (e.g. email a particular department?).

(I know I won't do anything difficult or anything, but is it strange to apply for this sort of thing?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Ryanmzmw and welcome to the forums.

This kind of question gets asked a lot, but there are two great documents that you should read.

The first link was written by a mentor here on PF exactly for your question and another is a guide by an actual theoretical physicist. Here they are:

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1KBovBeg_kl6nAk8fTBYQdHMo8o3o0IgunPE3R7_OEHM

http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~hooft101/theorist.html

Apart from the above advice though, just worry about getting into the right university program which will mean getting high enough general grades and do the hardest mathematics that you possibly can.

Good luck!

1. What are some common types of work experience placements?

Some common types of work experience placements include internships, job shadowing, volunteer work, apprenticeships, and virtual placements.

2. How can I find work experience placement opportunities?

You can find work experience placement opportunities by networking with professionals in your field, contacting companies directly, searching job boards and career websites, and utilizing career services at your school or university.

3. What are some benefits of doing a work experience placement?

Some benefits of doing a work experience placement include gaining practical skills and experience, building your professional network, enhancing your resume, and discovering new career interests.

4. Can I get paid for a work experience placement?

It depends on the type of placement and the company's policies. Internships and apprenticeships may offer a stipend or salary, while job shadowing and volunteer work are typically unpaid.

5. How can I make the most out of my work experience placement?

To make the most out of your work experience placement, be proactive and ask questions, take on new tasks and responsibilities, network with professionals, and reflect on your experiences to identify areas for improvement.