1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me understand this stuff (re: Aharonov-Bohm Effect, etc.)

1. Aug 7, 2009 #1
    Okay, so I was reviewing the Aharonov-Bohm effect online, and found some related discussion on Dirac Monopoles. Let me quote a bit:

I don't understand a lick of it. What kind of math do I need to take to understand this stuff?

-Geez

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2009 #2
    Diracs quatization condition is usually treated in quantum field theory classes.

The bundle talked about is treated in manifold classes, sometimes differential geometry (although that is strictly more than you need), but often bundles are just covered in QFT/string theory classes on a physics level of rigor. Moreover, this seems to be about string theory, which you would need to take.

So you would first need a lot of calculus, linear algebra, complex analysis, analysis in many dimensions, advanced QM, E&M, classical field theory, advanced thermal physics, group theory, and maybe even some topology.

In short, you need the basic education of any theoretical physicist

Have fun ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook