Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me understand this table: Unstandardized Logit Coefficient and Beta?

1. Oct 21, 2012 #1
    Hello, I am currently doing a project and trying to understand this table. I have a pretty good mathematical background but I know very little about statistics. Could someone explain, in simple terms, what this table is saying, specifically "Unstandardized Logit Coefficient" and "Beta"? Thanks so much!

zobyj.png

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Oct 22, 2012 #3
    Thanks. So, just so I'm clear, a higher unstandardized logit coefficient means what? And a higher beta means what?

I'm confused about the difference. It seems to me that both a higher unstandardized logit coefficient and a higher beta mean a higher turnout for a certain variable in the left-most column.

5. Oct 22, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Can't tell what they are measuring from the chart alone.
    eg.

IV: "mudslinging", ULC -0.07(0.03) ... would appear to be saying that mudslinging in the campaign has a slight negative effect on voter turnout but what are we to make of:

IV: "tone of the commercials" ULC 0.12(0.06) ... ?? I mean, what does "tone" measure and how was that measure turned into a logit coefficient?

You should look to see what they are "coefficients" to.

Whatver they are: the beta would be the same as the ULC only with their statistics standardized to unit varience. eg. they are showing the same thing in the sense that bigger numbers mean favorable ratios for the IV. The standardized measures are usually more useful for comparing different IVs to each other.

6. Oct 22, 2012 #5
    Thanks, that helps a lot. That's a good enough understanding for me right now, I'll look into what exactly those coefficients are. And yes, you are correct about what the chart is trying to say.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook