pH of 30ml 0.1M acetic acid mixed with 30ml 0.1M NaOH

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acid Mixture Ph
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Messages
5,112
Reaction score
20
I have a question here and i don't really know how to do it.

I need to know : What is the pH of a mixture of 30ml 0.1M acetic acid and 30ml of 0.1M NaOH? [tex]\[HC_2 H_3 O_3 = 1.8*10^{ - 5} \][/tex]

I'm not even sure what the equilibrium equation would be! Any help would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Pengwuino, notice you have an acid (acetic acid) and a base (NaOH) .
  • Initially, how many moles of each are there?
  • When they react, what product will they form?
  • How many moles of acid and base react, and how many moles of product is formed?
  • So after, the reaction what happens to the product?

Figure out the answers to the above questions, and you are half way to the required answer.