Help Needed: Solving Kinematics Problem in 10 Days!

In summary, the student is self-studying for their Edexcel Mechanics 2 GCE A Level exam and is struggling with a kinematics question. They have uploaded photos of the problem and their solution for part (a) and are having trouble with part (b). The book's answer for part (a) does not match their answer and they are unsure about their answer for part (b). Another user on a physics forum helps them with part (b) and their final answer matches the book's answer.
slakedlime
Hello :)
I'm self-studying for my Edexcel Mechanics 2 GCE A Level exam (it's in 10 days :S) and was having lots of trouble with one of the kinematics questions. I've uploaded photos of the problem and my solution for part (a) of the question. I couldn't use the math notation feature on the Physics Forum properly; I hope the photos aren't a problem for anyone!

Homework Statement

question.jpg

Homework Equations

* When a and b are two perpendicular vectors, a.b = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

My working out for part (a) of the question:
solution.jpg

My answer (t = 1.726s) doesn't match with the book's answer of t = 2s. As the book wants the 'instant' when the direction of motion of P is perpendicular to that of Q, I don't think that the book wants me to round off 1.726 to 2.

I'm completely clueless about part (b), so I would really appreciate it if someone could kindly provide some hints to get me in the right direction. I could try solving it then. If you need any further information, please ask and I'll try to provide it. I'm just very, very stumped with this question and have nobody who I can ask. :( Some fresh ideas might really help!

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm getting the exact same answer, yours seems spot on.

Unless we're crappy at taking derivatives, the given answer is just wrong.

[tex]\vec V_P (t=2 sec) = 4\hat y[/tex]

[tex]\vec V_Q (t=2 sec) = -8 \hat x + 6 \hat y[/tex]

And clearly these two are not perpendicular.

Have you taken a swing at part B yet? Do you know what to do?

Hi RoyalCat :) Thank-you for your help. I'm guessing my book is wrong, unless someone else shows us otherwise? :) I've finally come up with something for part B. My answer of (24i - 32j)m for the position vector of Q with respect to O when t=0 doesn't match the book's answer of (24i - 8j)m.

Here's my working out:
solutionB.jpg

Is my book wrong here as well? This is my examining body's (Edexcel) new and revised official coursebook for the Mechanics 2 exam :S :S

The book is right on this one, though.

The velocity of Q is not constant. It is a function of time.
The difference in position must be found by integration.
One approach is to take the indefinite integral, and set two constants for the initial x and y positions, which must then be found using the boundary conditions (The position at time t=4 sec is known).

Thank-you so much for your hints RoyalCat :) My answer finally matches the book's one:

Position vector of Q
= Integrating the velocity of Q
= (-8t + a)i + [(3/2)t^2 + b]j

As P and Q collide when t = 4, the position vector of Q = position vector of P at that time

Hence, position vector of Q when t = 4: -8i + 16j {worked this out in my first attempt at part B, above}

So,
-8t + a = -8
So, a = 24

And, (3/2)t^2 + b = 16
So, b = -8

Hence, position vector of Q = (-8t + 24)i + [(3/2)t^2 - 8]j

Therefore, when t = 0
Position vector of Q = 24i - 8j (The answer ^_^)

Spot on. :) Well done!

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. Why is it important to solve kinematics problems?

Solving kinematics problems allows us to understand and predict the motion of objects in various scenarios, which is crucial in many fields such as engineering, robotics, and physics.

3. What are the key principles of kinematics?

The key principles of kinematics include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. These concepts are used to describe the motion of an object in terms of its position, speed, and direction.

4. What are some common types of kinematics problems?

Some common types of kinematics problems include projectile motion, circular motion, and motion with constant acceleration.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving kinematics problems?

Practicing and understanding the key principles of kinematics is crucial in improving your skills. You can also seek help from tutors or online resources to guide you through solving various types of kinematics problems.