Help Needed: Supplementing My Mathematical Analysis Course

In summary, the conversation revolves around a request for suggestions on a supplementary book for a course in mathematical analysis. The difficulty of the assigned textbook is mentioned and the conversation also touches upon other subjects and books recommended by the members of the physicsforums community.
MrGandalf
Cheers, my dear friends of the physicsforums community!

I'm taking a course in mathematical analysis, and it's really giving me something of a headache. To be honest I find the assigned textbook very difficult to read, and I was hoping someone here could give me some suggestions for a supplementary book.

As this is real analysis it should cover topics like the fundamental axiom, the supremum, Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, uniform convergence, metric spaces etc.

The textbook of the course (and the curriculum) is T.W Körners 'A Companion To Analysis'.
http://www.ams.org/bookstore-getitem/item=gsm-62

Hope someone can give some nice suggestions, and I will order it from amazon ASAP. :)
May the force be with you!
- Gandalf

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
There was a thread on this subject involving complex analysis a couple of months ago. Search under my name (wildman). I picked RR Boas and it was a very good choice.

But I hear you on the difficulty of some textbooks. I'm trying to take a stochastic process class and I'm about ready to give up. I have read the textbook over and over and it doesn't make sense. What the instructor says is very clear, but the textbook is impossible.

Thanks for the tip.

wildman said:
I have read the textbook over and over and it doesn't make sense. What the instructor says is very clear, but the textbook is impossible.

Exactly the case!

I usually don't follow the classes, and just do a super-reading the last month before the exams. Good thing I decided to try the classes for a change, or I would have been in for a nasty surprise! ;)

what's wrong with koerner's book?! he's my supervisor and he rocks!

I'm sure he's great, it's just that I find the book hard to read.

It's a difficult subject after all...

MrGandalf said:
I'm sure he's great, it's just that I find the book hard to read.

It's a difficult subject after all...

I suppose so. I have to say i agree. You could try Michael Spivak's Calculus

scottie_000 said:
I suppose so. I have to say i agree. You could try Michael Spivak's Calculus

Except that this is not an analysis book.

so what? if you can learn analysis from it, that's what matters, right?

Related to Help Needed: Supplementing My Mathematical Analysis Course

What is mathematical analysis?

Mathematical analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions, limits, derivatives, integrals, and infinite series. It is considered to be the foundation of calculus and is used to solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

Why do I need to supplement my mathematical analysis course?

Supplementing your mathematical analysis course can help you gain a deeper understanding of the subject and improve your problem-solving skills. It can also provide additional practice and resources to help you excel in the course.

What are some common challenges in mathematical analysis courses?

Some common challenges in mathematical analysis courses include grasping abstract concepts, understanding the proofs and theorems, and applying the concepts to solve real-world problems. It can also be a challenging course for those who are not familiar with advanced mathematics.

What resources can I use to supplement my mathematical analysis course?

There are many resources available to supplement your mathematical analysis course, such as textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. You can also seek help from your instructor or a tutor for additional support.

How can I improve my performance in a mathematical analysis course?

To improve your performance in a mathematical analysis course, it is important to attend lectures, actively participate in class, practice regularly, and seek help when needed. You can also try different study techniques and strategies, such as creating study guides, forming study groups, and seeking feedback from your instructor.