Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help needed to find the flow potential function

1. Nov 30, 2007 #1
    Here is the catch:

We are given a 2-D velocity flow incompressible, irrotational of the form:

--> ^ ^ ^ ^
    V = u i + v j = [4y -x(1+x)] i + y(2x+1) j

and we are asked to find the flow potential which obeys the Laplace Eq. for 2-D incompressible, irrotational flow: dΦ = u dx + v dy

in other words:

---- = u

---- = v

I integrated the first one and then the second one and compared the two functions and combined the terms, but at the end the Φ does not satisfy the first equation only the second one.

Another technique, I integrated the first function with respect to x and Φ is expressed as 4xy - x^2/2 - x^3/3 + f(y) = Φ (x,y)

now I differentiate with respect to y and equate it to v:

4x - f'(y) = y(2x+1) which solves to f(y) = xy^2 + y^2/2 -4xy + C

Plug it in the above expression and get:

Φ (x,y) = xy^2 + y^2/2 - x^2/2 - x^3/3 + C

now the first partial diff. eq is not satisfied but the first is.

Can someone explain what is wrong here?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What reason do you have to thinks such a potential exists?

If there exist [itex]\phi[/itex] such that [itex]d\phi = udx+ vdy[/itex] (as long as u and v are differentiable) then it must be true that the mixed derivatives are equal:
    [tex]\frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial x \partial y}= \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}= \frac{\partial v}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial y\partial x}[/tex]
    Here it is clear that that is not true: [itex](4y -x(1+x))_y= 4 \ne (y(2x+1))_x= 2y[/itex]. This is not an "exact differential" and there is no "flow potential".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?