Find load P supported by cables at 25° and 55° angles with 1860 N load Q

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 3K views
MecEngPterois
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
What I did was split the problem into two separate summations based on x & y coordinates:

Tcos(25) - Tcos(55) - Px = 0
Tsin(25+Tsin(55) +Py - Q = 0,

Where Q = 1860

I initially got an answer of 2391N, but it keeps marking me wrong for said answer.

This is the free body diagram, (the previous question asked me to construct) that I am basing my work off of:

Screenshot 2023-09-07 132413.png
Here is the question.
Screenshot 2023-09-07 132108.png
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, @MecEngPterois !

Could you show us your work in detail?

Think of the principle behind a bow and an arrow.
Is it easier for the hand to initiate the pulling of the cord than directly bending the bow?
 
The horizontal and vertical force balances on the pulley F should read:
$$T\cos{25}-(T+P)\cos{55}=0$$. $$T\sin{25}+(T+P)\sin{55}-Q=0$$