Help on Uniform Circular Motion Problem Please

In summary, the conversation is about deriving a formula for the bullet speed in terms of D, T, and an angle between two holes in two disks. The bullet must travel through the set of disks within a single revolution. The given equations are v=D/t and v=(2pi)r/T. The question asks for the expression of angular velocity, omega, in terms of the angle theta. The person asking for help mentions confusion about how to express this in terms of theta.
sam.

Homework Statement

1. Homework Statement

Derive a formula for the bullet speed v in terms of D, T, and a measured angle between the position of the hole in the first disk and that of the hole in the second. If required, use [tex]\pi[/tex], not its numeric equivalent. Both of the holes lie at the same radial distance from the shaft. [tex]\theta[/tex] measures the angular displacement between the two holes; for instance, [tex]\theta[/tex]=0 means that the holes are in a line and means that when one hole is up, the other is down. Assume that the bullet must travel through the set of disks within a single revolution.

A diagram of this can be found here: http://ca.geocities.com/canbball/MRB_rr_8_a.jpg

Homework Equations

Okay so I know that v=D/t
And that v = (2[tex]\pi[/tex]r)/T

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the disks rotate by 2 in time T. What I don't understand is how to express this in terms of [tex]\theta[/tex].

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you state the angular velocity, omega, in terms of the angle theta?

In step 3, you've dropped a pi.

1. How do I find the acceleration in uniform circular motion?

The acceleration in uniform circular motion can be found using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the speed, and r is the radius of the circular motion.

2. Can you explain the concept of centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is given by F = mv^2/r, where m is the mass of the object, v is the speed, and r is the radius of the circular motion.

3. How do I calculate the period of an object in uniform circular motion?

The period, T, of an object in uniform circular motion is the time it takes for the object to complete one full revolution. It can be calculated using the formula T = 2πr/v, where r is the radius and v is the speed of the object.

4. What is the relationship between tangential speed and angular speed in uniform circular motion?

Tangential speed, v, is the linear speed at which an object moves along the circular path. Angular speed, ω, is the rate of change of the angle in radians per unit time. The relationship between v and ω is v = ωr, where r is the radius of the circular motion.

5. How do I approach solving a uniform circular motion problem?

To solve a uniform circular motion problem, first identify the given information, including the radius, speed, and mass of the object. Then, use the appropriate equations to calculate the unknown quantities, such as acceleration, period, or angular speed. It can also be helpful to draw a diagram and label all the known and unknown quantities to better visualize the problem.