Uniform circular motion merry-go-round

In summary, a purse and wallet travel in uniform circular motion on a merry-go-round, with the purse having an acceleration of (1.70 m/s2) + (4.60 m/s2) and the wallet on the same radial line. To find the acceleration of the wallet, the angle created by the acceleration components of the purse is first determined. Using this angle, the new components of the wallet's acceleration at a different radius are then found. The acceleration of the purse and wallet are proportional, and the constant of proportionality can be used to find the components of the wallet's acceleration.
Jadalucas

Homework Statement

A purse at radius 1.90 m and a wallet at radius 2.60 m travel in uniform circular motion on the floor of a merry-go-round as the ride turns. They are on the same radial line. At one instant, the acceleration of the purse is (1.70 m/s2) + (4.60 m/s2). At that instant and in unit-vector notation, what is the acceleration of the wallet?

Homework Equations

Tan(theta)= -(V^2/r)sin(theta)/-(V^2/r)Cos(theta)
A=V^2/r
T(period)=2pir/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the original components of the purse to determine the angle created from the acceleration components
1) Tan(theta)= (4.6m/s^2)/(1.70m/s^2)
Arc Tangent (4.6/1.7)=theta and I found theta=69.72 degrees

next, I used the angle to determine the new components of the wallet using the same velocity but at a different radius (2.6m)

2) 2.6 Cos69.72= acceleration of wallet about x = .901m/s^2
2.6 sin69.72 = acceleration of wallet about y = 2.44m/s^2

-I put those components into the unite vector notation and got the problem wrong... I'm wondering why, if anyone could please help. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Jadalucas said:

Homework Statement

A purse at radius 1.90 m and a wallet at radius 2.60 m travel in uniform circular motion on the floor of a merry-go-round as the ride turns. They are on the same radial line. At one instant, the acceleration of the purse is (1.70 m/s2) + (4.60 m/s2). At that instant and in unit-vector notation, what is the acceleration of the wallet?
Are there unit vectors multiplying these components? If so, what are they?

the only unit vectors that had been provided were the acceleration of the purse is (1.70 m/s2)i + (4.60 m/s2)j *apparently those letters didn't show up in the earlier post.

Jadalucas said:
the only unit vectors that had been provided were the acceleration of the purse is (1.70 m/s2)i + (4.60 m/s2)j *apparently those letters didn't show up in the earlier post.
Can you find the magnitude of the acceleration of the purse?
Once you have that, can you find the magnitude of the acceleration of the wallet?
Once you have that, can you find the components of the acceleration of the wallet?

Hint: The wallet's acceleration vector is proportional to the purse's acceleration vector. What is the constant of proportionality?

Your approach seems correct, but there may be a slight error in your calculations for the x and y components of the wallet's acceleration. Remember that the acceleration of the wallet is still in the same direction as the purse's acceleration, just with different magnitudes due to the different radii. So, the x component of the wallet's acceleration should also be 1.70 m/s^2, since it is still in the same direction as the purse's acceleration in the x direction. Similarly, the y component of the wallet's acceleration should be 4.60 m/s^2, since it is still in the same direction as the purse's acceleration in the y direction.

Therefore, in unit vector notation, the acceleration of the wallet would be (1.70 m/s^2)i + (4.60 m/s^2)j.

It's also important to note that the angle theta that you calculated is the angle between the purse's acceleration and the radial line connecting the center of the merry-go-round to the purse. This angle is not necessarily the same as the angle between the radial line and the wallet's acceleration. In this case, the angle between the radial line and the wallet's acceleration would be 90 degrees minus theta, since the purse and wallet are on the same radial line.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Keep up the good work!

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion refers to the motion of an object moving in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object is moving at a constant velocity, but the direction of its velocity is constantly changing.

2. How is uniform circular motion different from regular circular motion?

The main difference between uniform circular motion and regular circular motion is that in uniform circular motion, the speed of the object remains constant, whereas in regular circular motion, the speed can vary. In uniform circular motion, the object is also moving at a constant velocity, while in regular circular motion, the velocity can also vary.

3. What is the centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

The centripetal force in uniform circular motion is the force that acts towards the center of the circular path and keeps the object moving in a circular motion. It is responsible for continuously changing the direction of the object's velocity and keeping it on the circular path.

4. How does a merry-go-round demonstrate uniform circular motion?

A merry-go-round is a perfect example of uniform circular motion. The riders on the merry-go-round are moving in a circular path at a constant speed, with the center of the ride acting as the center of the circle. The force of friction between the riders and the ride is what provides the centripetal force necessary for the uniform circular motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of uniform circular motion?

Some examples of uniform circular motion in daily life include the motion of the moon around the Earth, the rotation of a ceiling fan, the motion of a satellite in orbit around a planet, and the circular motion of a car or bike on a curved road. Any object that moves in a circular path at a constant speed can be considered an example of uniform circular motion.