Uniform circular motion merry-go-round

• Thread starter Jadalucas
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A purse at radius 1.90 m and a wallet at radius 2.60 m travel in uniform circular motion on the floor of a merry-go-round as the ride turns. They are on the same radial line. At one instant, the acceleration of the purse is (1.70 m/s2) + (4.60 m/s2). At that instant and in unit-vector notation, what is the acceleration of the wallet?

Homework Equations

Tan(theta)= -(V^2/r)sin(theta)/-(V^2/r)Cos(theta)
A=V^2/r
T(period)=2pir/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the original components of the purse to determine the angle created from the acceleration components
1) Tan(theta)= (4.6m/s^2)/(1.70m/s^2)
Arc Tangent (4.6/1.7)=theta and I found theta=69.72 degrees

next, I used the angle to determine the new components of the wallet using the same velocity but at a different radius (2.6m)

2) 2.6 Cos69.72= acceleration of wallet about x = .901m/s^2
2.6 sin69.72 = acceleration of wallet about y = 2.44m/s^2

-I put those components into the unite vector notation and got the problem wrong... I'm wondering why, if anyone could please help. thanks

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A purse at radius 1.90 m and a wallet at radius 2.60 m travel in uniform circular motion on the floor of a merry-go-round as the ride turns. They are on the same radial line. At one instant, the acceleration of the purse is (1.70 m/s2) + (4.60 m/s2). At that instant and in unit-vector notation, what is the acceleration of the wallet?
Are there unit vectors multiplying these components? If so, what are they?

the only unit vectors that had been provided were the acceleration of the purse is (1.70 m/s2)i + (4.60 m/s2)j *apparently those letters didn't show up in the earlier post.

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
the only unit vectors that had been provided were the acceleration of the purse is (1.70 m/s2)i + (4.60 m/s2)j *apparently those letters didn't show up in the earlier post.
Can you find the magnitude of the acceleration of the purse?
Once you have that, can you find the magnitude of the acceleration of the wallet?
Once you have that, can you find the components of the acceleration of the wallet?

Hint: The wallet's acceleration vector is proportional to the purse's acceleration vector. What is the constant of proportionality?