Help reduce the severity of accidents

• Thread starter fa08ti
  • Start date
In summary, an engineering company has designed large plastic barrels filled with antifreeze to reduce the severity of accidents. In a test, a 1200 kg car moving at 20 m/s crashes into several barrels and slows down to 8.0 m/s in 0.40 s. The average net force is found to be -36000 N. The discussion then turns to what would happen if the car hit the bridge supports instead of the barrels, and why antifreeze is used instead of water. It is suggested that if the bridge supports cannot move and the collision is not elastic, all of the car's kinetic energy would be converted into heat, making for a more destructive crash. Antifreeze is believed to have a
fa08ti
To help reduce the severity of accidents, an engineering company designs large plastic barrels filled with antifreeze that can be placed in front of bridge supports. in a simple test, a 1200 kg car moving at 20 m/s (W) crashes into several barrels. the car slows down to 8.0 m/s (W) in 0.40 s.

i found the average net force to be -36000 N (W)

b: what would happen if the car hit the bridge supprts instead of the barrels.

c: why do they use antifreeze instead of water.

i'm confused but i think that for both b and c, it's about the car's ability to bounce back?

Physics news on Phys.org

If the author of the problem has a tacit assumption that the bridge supports cannot move at all and that the car would not have any ricocheting velocity (which would seem to need to be specified, since this can easily be assumed not to be an elastic collision), then all the kinetic energy of the car must get converted into heat, making the wreckage and the portion of the bridge struck a much hotter mess.
I would suspect that a given volume of antifreeze has the capacity to absorb more heat energy than the same amount of water. The more energy is absorbed by the liquid in the barrels, the lower the temperature of the car wreckage(?)

does that mean the net force would increase?

I was thinking the water would freeze when it gets cold outside and cause a lot more damage.

I'd say yes, it takes more force to push something to a stop than it does to push something down to 8.0 m/s if you get to assume that the time duration of 0.40 s is the same in both cases.

1. How can accidents be reduced?

Accidents can be reduced by implementing safety measures, such as wearing protective gear, following safety protocols, and maintaining a safe working environment.

2. What are some common causes of accidents?

Some common causes of accidents include human error, equipment malfunctions, and unsafe working conditions. Other factors such as fatigue, distraction, and lack of training can also contribute to accidents.

3. How important is risk assessment in reducing accidents?

Risk assessment is crucial in reducing accidents as it helps identify potential hazards and implement preventive measures. By conducting regular risk assessments, potential risks can be identified and addressed before they lead to accidents.

4. What role does technology play in reducing the severity of accidents?

Technology plays a significant role in reducing the severity of accidents. It can be used to develop safety equipment, monitor and control hazardous processes, and provide training and education on safety protocols.

5. Is it possible to completely eliminate accidents?

While it may not be possible to completely eliminate accidents, their severity can be significantly reduced through proper safety measures and risk management strategies. This requires a collaborative effort from individuals, organizations, and government agencies.