1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help required for choosing books for the various engineering subjects

1. Apr 5, 2014 #1
    Hi,

Can anyone please suggest me some of the best books and video tutorials for the below subjects?
    1. Strength of materials/ Mechanics of materials
    2. Mathematics- Calculus, differential equations
    3. Books on how to find centroids, center of gravity and basicly pre requisye knowledge to strength of materials
    4. Composites- material science and design of structures
    5. Non destructive testing
    6. Finite element method/ analysis

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2014 #2
    These are some of the books I used in school almost 20 years ago:
    1. RC Hibbeler, Mechanics of Materials
    2. Boyce and DiPrima, Elementary Differential Equations
    3. RC Hibbeler, Engineering Mechanics: Statics and Dynamics
    4. No text book.
    5. Never took a course.
    6. Cook, Applications of Finite Element Analysis

I think any textbook on the subject should be good enough to start to learn the subject.

4. Apr 7, 2014 #3
    Hi paisiello thanks for your help, i will go through the book.. i have laready gone thru cook but i think its a little too advanced for beginners.. i have gone thru many finite element books but most of them start from later concepts.. yet to find a book which starts from the core concepts

5. Sep 9, 2014 #4
    There is a huge variety of books devoted to different areas of FEA.
    The vast majority of them suffer from one and the same shortcoming though: they contain no, or very little, codes in C/C++ (or even in FORTRAN) that would be "ready-to-use", so to say. Reading long derivations of mathematical formulas can sometimes be frustrating for a person with a strongly engineering mindset, who actually wants to "put his hands on" really working codes, that would deliver numerical results (displacements, bending moments, shear forces, stresses, etc.) right on the spot. Here is one of the few books that contain complete source codes (it is available from amazon.com ) :
    "Computational Geometry of Surfaces and Its Application to the Finite Element Analysis of Shells " (by O.Axenenko and A.Tsvelikh)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted