Help Solving/Creating a Question

• Thread starter atOnz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the power required for Superman to pull a train up an inclined plane. The necessary information includes the train's mass, coefficient of kinetic friction, and applied force. After calculating the forces of friction and gravity, the conversation concludes that Superman would need to exert 3292767N of force to move the train. The conversation also mentions using the equation P=Fv to calculate Superman's power output, and suggests using his walking velocity for v.
atOnz
I need to prove how Superman would 'be more powerful than a locomotive.'

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5408/diagram8gm.th.jpg

From my diagram I need to find out how much power Superman has to put out to be able to pull that train up the track. I know he has to pull the train 8.5m on an inclined plane of 15 degrees.

-I know the train has a mass of 395 300kg.
-I also know the train is applying a force in the opposite direction.
-Coefficient of kinetic friction of a steel on steel is 0.57
-And finally I know the train is putting out 2,387,200W (3, 200hp) to make that applied force.

So Superman has to overcome the FApplied(train) + FFriction + Fgx to be able to pull the train.
------------------------------
-FN = mgcosx = (395300kg)(9.81m/s^2)(cos15) = 3745757N

-uk = FFriction/FN
FFriction = (0.57)(FN) = 2135081N

-Fgx = mgsinx = (395300kg)(9.81m/s^2)(sin15) = 1003673N
------------------------------

Okay so I found FFriction and Fgx of the train but I still need the FApplied by the train to know how much force superman needs to apply in the opposite direction to move it up the hill.

I know the train is putting out 2,387,200W of power in the opposite direction. But how can I calculate how much force that is? Maybe I misunderstand the difference between force applied and power?

Please help me in anyway possible.
-Jay

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming constant velocity, you can use the equation P=Fv, where v is velocity. Remember that F and v are vectors.

Last edited:
Hootenanny said:
Assuming constant velocity, you can use the equation P=Fv, where v is velocity. Remember that F and v are vectors.

So I researched that this train can get up to at most 56km/h (15.5m/s). I guess the easiest thing to do is assume it's constant because well, to do otherwise might be out of my current level of physics education :P.

2, 387, 200W = F(15.5m/s)
F=154013N

So superman has to overcome Fgx (1003673N) + FFriction (2135081N) + FApplied(train) (154013N) = 3292767N?

Then I guess I can use P = mv again once I find the average velocity a person walks with, to find how much power Superman puts out?

atOnz said:
So superman has to overcome Fgx (1003673N) + FFriction (2135081N) + FApplied(train) (154013N) = 3292767N?
Yep, that's some strong biceps there :biggrin:
atOnz said:
Then I guess I can use P = mv again once I find the average velocity a person walks with, to find how much power Superman puts out?
That is the expression for momentum. If you mean to use P = mgv, then no you can't. The force of gravity and the velocity are perpendicular to each other and hence are independant. However, you could work out his power output using P = 3292767v, where v is his walking velocity.

Last edited:
Hootenanny said:
Yep, that's some strong biceps there :biggrin:

That is the expression for momentum. If you mean to use P = mgv, then no you can't. The force of gravity and the velocity are perpendicular to each other and hence are independant. However, you could work out his power output using P = 3292767v, where v is his walking velocity.

Oh my, sorry for that! I meant P=Fv. Thank you for your help!

atOnz said:
Oh my, sorry for that! I meant P=Fv. Thank you for your help!
My pleasure :smile:

1. How do I come up with a good research question?

Creating a good research question involves identifying a problem or gap in current knowledge, conducting thorough background research, and refining your question to be specific, clear, and feasible.

2. What are some techniques for brainstorming research questions?

Some techniques for brainstorming research questions include using mind maps, asking open-ended questions, using the "5 W's and 1 H" approach (who, what, when, where, why, and how), and considering potential social or scientific implications of a topic.

3. How can I make sure my research question is relevant and important?

To ensure your research question is relevant and important, consider the potential impact of your study on society, the scientific community, or a specific field of study. You can also consult with experts or conduct a literature review to determine if your question has already been answered or if there is a need for further research.

4. How do I know if my research question is feasible?

A feasible research question is one that can be realistically answered with the resources and time you have available. To determine feasibility, consider the scope of your question, the availability of data, and your own skills and abilities.

5. Can I change my research question after starting my study?

It is possible to change your research question after beginning your study if you encounter unexpected challenges or find that your initial question is not leading to meaningful results. However, it is important to consult with your research team or advisor before making any significant changes to your question.