1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Solving/Creating a Question

1. Jun 11, 2006 #1
    I need to prove how Superman would 'be more powerful than a locomotive.'

[​IMG]

From my diagram I need to find out how much power Superman has to put out to be able to pull that train up the track. I know he has to pull the train 8.5m on an inclined plane of 15 degrees.

-I know the train has a mass of 395 300kg.
    -I also know the train is applying a force in the opposite direction.
    -Coefficient of kinetic friction of a steel on steel is 0.57
    -And finally I know the train is putting out 2,387,200W (3, 200hp) to make that applied force.

So Superman has to overcome the FApplied(train) + FFriction + Fgx to be able to pull the train.
    ------------------------------
    -FN = mgcosx = (395300kg)(9.81m/s^2)(cos15) = 3745757N

-uk = FFriction/FN
    FFriction = (0.57)(FN) = 2135081N

-Fgx = mgsinx = (395300kg)(9.81m/s^2)(sin15) = 1003673N
    ------------------------------

Okay so I found FFriction and Fgx of the train but I still need the FApplied by the train to know how much force superman needs to apply in the opposite direction to move it up the hill.

I know the train is putting out 2,387,200W of power in the opposite direction. But how can I calculate how much force that is? Maybe I misunderstand the difference between force applied and power?

Please help me in anyway possible.
    -Jay

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Assuming constant velocity, you can use the equation P=Fv, where v is velocity. Remember that F and v are vectors.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  4. Jun 11, 2006 #3
    So I researched that this train can get up to at most 56km/h (15.5m/s). I guess the easiest thing to do is assume it's constant because well, to do otherwise might be out of my current level of physics education :P.

2, 387, 200W = F(15.5m/s)
    F=154013N

So superman has to overcome Fgx (1003673N) + FFriction (2135081N) + FApplied(train) (154013N) = 3292767N?

Then I guess I can use P = mv again once I find the average velocity a person walks with, to find how much power Superman puts out?

5. Jun 11, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, thats some strong biceps there :biggrin:
    That is the expression for momentum. If you mean to use P = mgv, then no you can't. The force of gravity and the velocity are perpendicular to each other and hence are independant. However, you could work out his power output using P = 3292767v, where v is his walking velocity.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  6. Jun 11, 2006 #5
    Oh my, sorry for that! I meant P=Fv. Thank you for your help!

7. Jun 11, 2006 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My pleasure :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?