Net Force on Wagon: Solving for Unknowns

• Thread starter jono240
  • Start date
In summary, the net force acting on the wagon is 26N, calculated by subtracting the force of friction (78N) from the horizontal component of the applied force (104N*cos35).
jono240
So simple, what am I missing??

Homework Statement

A wagon is being pulled with a force of 104N so that the handle makes an angle of 35 degrees above the horizontal. The force of friction between the wheels of the wagon and the ground is 78N. What is the net force acting on the wagon?

Homework Equations

F=m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright I've made my free-body diagram and I know you're supposed to break it into components. So I have

Fnetx = Fapplied(cos35) - Ffriction = m*a

Fnety = Fapplied(sin35) + Fnormal - Fgravity = m*a = 0

I've been trying to rearrange it to find at least one unknown but I can't figure out how to find any of them. I've been trying to rearrange them to find mass, Fnormal, μ but I can't seem to get it. What am I missing?

thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org

Since the problem is only asking for the net force acting on the wagon, you won't need to find the mass or μ or anything other than the forces. Presumably you simply need to resolve the force vectors into a single resultant.

1. What is the meaning behind the phrase "So simple, what am I missing?"

The phrase "So simple, what am I missing?" is often used to express frustration or confusion when something appears to be easy, but the person is unable to understand or solve it. It implies that there must be something obvious that the person is overlooking.

2. Why do people struggle with understanding simple concepts?

There are a variety of reasons why people may struggle with understanding simple concepts. It could be due to a lack of knowledge or background in the subject, difficulty with critical thinking and problem-solving skills, or simply not paying enough attention to the details.

3. How can I avoid missing the obvious in a simple problem or task?

One way to avoid missing the obvious in a simple problem or task is to approach it with a fresh perspective. Sometimes we get so caught up in our own assumptions and biases that we overlook the simplest solutions. It can also be helpful to take a break and come back to the problem later with a clear mind.

4. Is it common for scientists to encounter "simple" problems in their research?

Yes, it is common for scientists to encounter "simple" problems in their research. As with any field, there are often foundational concepts that can be overlooked or misunderstood. Additionally, scientific research is a complex process that involves multiple variables, and it's not uncommon for researchers to overlook a small detail that can have a big impact on their results.

5. Can "simple" problems lead to significant discoveries or breakthroughs?

Absolutely. In fact, many significant discoveries and breakthroughs in science have been the result of solving seemingly simple problems. Sometimes, it just takes a fresh perspective or a new approach to see the solution that was right in front of us all along.