How to Calculate the Correct Path to Base Camp in a Whiteout?

In summary, the explorer should travel 12. 61 km in the opposite direction of his original destination to reach base camp.
kara
If anyone's got any hints or directions as to how to go about solving this problem, PLEASE help!

An explorer is caught in a whiteout (in which the snowfall is so thick that the ground cannot be distinguished from the sky) while returning to base camp. He was supposed to travel due north for 5.6km, but when the snow clears, he discovers that he actually traveled 7.8km at 50* north of due east. How far and in what direction must he travel no to reach base camp?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kara said:
If anyone's got any hints or directions as to how to go about solving this problem, PLEASE help!

An explorer is caught in a whiteout (in which the snowfall is so thick that the ground cannot be distinguished from the sky) while returning to base camp. He was supposed to travel due north for 5.6km, but when the snow clears, he discovers that he actually traveled 7.8km at 50* north of due east. How far and in what direction must he travel no to reach base camp?

try drawing a diagram using the given info

see waht you cna do from there...

i've got one, I'm just not sure what I'm looking for afterwards.

Last edited:
In my diagram I've got two vectors that I've named A and B. SO do i subtract the two to get the distance between them C?

kara said:
In my diagram I've got two vectors that I've named A and B. SO do i subtract the two to get the distance between them C?

draw the diagram and post it here

You should have 2 vectors on an XY-coordinate system. If that's what you got, one shouldn't be directly on the xy-planes, so you're going to have to look for the x and y components for a particular vector. Once you do that, think in respect to the point he should be at to the point he is at.

kara said:

cant just subtract because they are angles to each other

i tried drawing the diagram on paint, doesn't look too good but that's what I am thinking. Find the distance C

Attachments

• vector.JPG
    vector.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 406
i've figured out an answer, not sure if its right but if anyone's willing to check here is it: The explorer must travel 12. 61 km. I got 67* but that doesn't entirely make sense now that i look at it. Anyhoo let me know what you think.

?

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in a specific direction, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the vector.

2. How do I solve a vector problem?

The first step in solving a vector problem is to identify the given information, including the magnitude and direction of the vectors involved. Then, use vector addition or subtraction to combine the vectors and find the resultant vector. Finally, use trigonometric functions to find the direction and magnitude of the resultant vector.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has magnitude but no direction, such as temperature or speed. A vector, on the other hand, has both magnitude and direction, like force or velocity. Scalars are represented by a single number, while vectors are represented by an arrow.

4. How do I determine the components of a vector?

The components of a vector can be found using trigonometric functions. The x-component is equal to the magnitude of the vector multiplied by the cosine of the angle between the vector and the x-axis. The y-component is equal to the magnitude of the vector multiplied by the sine of the angle between the vector and the y-axis.

5. Can vectors be negative?

Yes, vectors can have negative values. It depends on the direction of the vector relative to the coordinate system being used. For example, a vector pointing in the negative x-direction would have a negative x-component. However, the magnitude of a vector is always positive.