Help understanding this Lie Algebra/Group stuff

• Thread starter genericusrnme
  • Start date
In summary: In the general case, you have to integrate the matrix differential equation you get from the Hamiltonian. For that you have to be able to do matrix exponentials and to find the inverse of a matrix. It still holds that the general solution for the initial value problem is given by the formula above, but it's not very helpful for a numerical solution.In your case, you are asked to find the time evolution operator for the Hamiltonian. This means that you have to solve the matrix equation\mathrm{i} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \hat{U}(t,t_i)=\hat{H}(t) \hat{U}(t,t_i)with the initial condition \hat{
genericusrnme
If someone could walk me through this example I'd be extremely grateful.

A Hamiltonian acts in a 2 j + 1 dimensional space through a set of three operators Jz , J± that obey angular momentum commutation relations. We wish to determine the evolution of some particular state [itex]|j,m_j \rangle[/itex] . The Hamiltonian is;

[itex]H = \epsilon(t)J_z + \alpha (t) J_+ + \alpha * (t) J_- \overset{j \rightarrow \frac{1}{2}}{\rightarrow}
\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
\frac{1}{2} \epsilon(t) & \alpha (t) \\
\alpha * (t) & -\frac{1}{2}\epsilon (t) \end{array} \right)[/itex]

I'm having trouble on this step for a few reasons
1. why are we letting j go to [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]
2. That isn't necessarily unitary

The unitary operator acting in the 2 j + 1 dimensional space is a unitary representation of some operation in the group SU (2). It is simpler to determine how g(t) ∈ SU (2) evolves, and then construct its unitary representation, than it is to determine the time evolution of the (2 j + 1) × (2 j + 1) unitary matrix. Specifically, the equation of motion in the group is;

[itex]
\frac{d}{dt}
a(t) & b (t) \\
-b * (t) & a* (t) \end{array} \right)
=
-\frac{i}{\hbar}
\frac{1}{2} \epsilon(t) & \alpha (t) \\
\alpha * (t) & -\frac{1}{2}\epsilon (t) \end{array} \right)
a(t) & b (t) \\
-b * (t) & a* (t) \end{array} \right)
[/itex]

I understand this part, it's just Schrodinger but in group form and the g(t) ∈ SU(2) is just [itex]\psi[/itex] (I think). I still have the problem with
1. No explicit Det=1 requirment

After some algebraic manipulation this matrix equation reduces to two equations for the complex coefficients a(t) and b(t) or three equations for the real coefficients of the Pauli spin matrices σ1 , σ2 , σ3 . These are first order equations and can be solved by standard integration methods (e.g., RK4). The initial conditions are [itex]a(t_i ) =
1[/itex], [itex]b(t_i ) = 0[/itex]. The final 2 × 2 unitary matrix is determined by [itex]a(t_f )[/itex], [itex]b(t_f )[/itex]. This is a group operation in SU (2) that can subsequently be mapped into the (2 j + 1) × (2 j + 1) unitary irreducible representation of this group. At this point the problem is solved, independent of the initial state [itex]|\psi(t_i )\rangle[/itex]

And here I'm not sure how exactly you map back into the original space
Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

(Any book recommendations that would help with this are also appreciated!)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you quoted the problem correctly?

I guess what you have there is a spin operator, denoted with [itex]\hat{\vec{J}}[/itex] and a Hamiltonian built by the interaction of the spin with a homogeneous but time-dependent magnetic field, and you assume that the spin is 1/2. The Hamiltonian is already rewritten in terms of the spin-component in quantization direction (as usual chosen as the [itex]z[/itex] direction) and in terms of the "ladder operators" [itex]\hat{J}_{\pm} = \hat{J}_x \pm \mathrm{i} \hat{J}_y[/itex].

The spin-Hilbert space in this case is two-dimensional with a basis given by the eigenvectors of [itex]\hat{J}_z[/itex] with eigenvalues [itex]m_j \in \{-1/2,1/2 \}[/itex], which I'll denote as [itex]|m_j \rangle[/itex] for brevity.

The ladder operators act on these states as
[tex]\hat{J}_+ |1/2 \rangle=0, \quad \hat{J}_+ |-1/2 \rangle =|1/2 \rangle, \quad \hat{J}_- |1/2 \rangle =|-1/2 \rangle, \quad \hat{J}_- |-1/2 \rangle =0.[/tex]
Thus the hamiltonian reads in the matrix representation wrt. this basis as given in your posting
[tex]\hat{H}=\begin{pmatrix}
\epsilon(t)/2 & \alpha(t) \\ \alpha^*(t) & -\epsilon(t)/2 \end{pmatrix}.[/tex]
Of course, [itex]\epsilon(t) \in \mathbb{R}[/itex], so that the Hamiltonian is self-adjoint as it must be. Why should it be unitary?

Then I'm not sure what you are asked to solve. Is it the time evolution for a (pure) state in the Schrödinger picture, i.e.,
[tex]\mathrm{i} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} |\psi(t) \rangle = \hat{H}(t) |\psi(t) \rangle[/tex]
or is it the evolution of some observable in the Heisenberg picture? I guess it's the former task.

In that case, in matrix-vector notation you have to solve for
[tex]\mathrm{i} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \begin{pmatrix}
a(t) \\ b(t) \end{pmatrix}=\hat{H}(t) \begin{pmatrix}
a(t) \\ b(t) \end{pmatrix}.[/tex]
The formal solution is
[tex]\begin{pmatrix} a(t) \\ b(t) \end{pmatrix}=\hat{U}(t,t_i) \begin{pmatrix} a(t_i) \\ b(t_i) \end{pmatrix},[/tex]
where the unitary time-evolution operator is formally given by
[tex]\hat{U}(t,t_i)=T_c \exp \left [-\mathrm{i} \int_{t_i}^t \mathrm{d} t' \hat{H}(t') \right].[/tex]
Here [itex]T_c[/itex] denotes the time-ordering operator. In simple cases it is even possible to solve this in closed form, e.g., for a time-independent Hamiltonian.

1. What is a Lie algebra?

A Lie algebra is a mathematical structure used to study continuous symmetries in abstract spaces. It consists of a vector space with a bilinear operation called the Lie bracket, which measures the degree to which two elements of the vector space fail to commute with each other.

2. How is a Lie algebra related to Lie groups?

A Lie algebra is the linearization of a Lie group, meaning it captures the infinitesimal behavior of the group near the identity element. In other words, the Lie algebra provides a way to study the local structure of a Lie group.

3. What is the significance of Lie algebras and groups in physics?

Lie algebras and groups have numerous applications in physics, particularly in the study of symmetries and conservation laws. They are used to describe the fundamental forces of nature and the behavior of particles, as well as to formulate theories such as quantum mechanics and general relativity.

4. How do you determine the dimension of a Lie algebra?

The dimension of a Lie algebra is equal to the number of independent generators or basis elements. This can be found by calculating the dimension of the underlying vector space and taking into account any additional constraints or relations imposed by the Lie bracket.

5. Are there any real-world examples of Lie algebras and groups?

Yes, there are many. Some examples include the rotation group, which describes the symmetries of a circle or sphere, and the Poincaré group, which describes the symmetries of spacetime in special relativity. Other examples can be found in crystallography, fluid mechanics, and many other areas of mathematics and physics.