HELP - voltage gated calcium channels

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of voltage gated calcium channels and their role in the process of action potential. The individual is seeking more information on the recycling of calcium ions during this process and is looking for suggestions on relevant materials. They also mention finding some articles on calcium extrusion mechanisms and thank those who provided suggestions.
junk0
Referring to following video, I would like to know more about voltage gated calcium channels, will this process called action potential? How do Calcium ion recycle during this process?

I can find a lot of materials on action potential for Na+/K+ pump along axon, but not much materials talking about calcium channels.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thansk in advance for any suggestions

Edit: Another crackpot link removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
You may find this book chapter to be helpful:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK21521/#A6190

Thanks everyone very much for suggestions

I am familiar with voltage gated calcium channels and their role in the process of action potential. Voltage gated calcium channels are specialized proteins found in the cell membrane of neurons. They open and close in response to changes in the electrical potential across the cell membrane, allowing calcium ions to flow into the cell.

During an action potential, there is a sudden change in the electrical potential of the cell membrane. This change triggers the opening of voltage gated calcium channels, allowing calcium ions to enter the cell. The influx of calcium ions then triggers the release of neurotransmitters, which are chemical messengers that allow neurons to communicate with each other.

In terms of calcium ion recycling, there are a few mechanisms that ensure proper levels of calcium ions in the cell. One is the activity of calcium pumps, which actively transport calcium ions out of the cell. Another is the activity of calcium-binding proteins, which bind to excess calcium ions and help regulate their levels.

There are many resources available on voltage gated calcium channels and their role in action potential. I suggest looking into textbooks or scientific articles on neuroscience or cellular biology. You can also consult with a neuroscientist or attend a seminar or conference on the topic. I hope this helps and I wish you luck in your research.

What are voltage gated calcium channels?

Voltage gated calcium channels are specialized proteins found in the cell membrane that open and close in response to changes in the electrical potential across the membrane. They allow calcium ions to enter the cell, playing a crucial role in a variety of cellular processes such as muscle contraction and neuronal signaling.

How do voltage gated calcium channels work?

When the electrical potential across the cell membrane reaches a certain threshold, the voltage gated calcium channels open, allowing calcium ions to flow into the cell. This influx of calcium triggers various cellular events, such as muscle contraction or neurotransmitter release.

What is the function of voltage gated calcium channels?

Voltage gated calcium channels play a crucial role in a variety of physiological processes, including muscle contraction, hormone secretion, and neuronal signaling. They also regulate the release of neurotransmitters, which are important for communication between neurons in the nervous system.

What happens when voltage gated calcium channels malfunction?

If voltage gated calcium channels malfunction, it can lead to various health issues. For example, mutations in these channels have been linked to neurological disorders such as epilepsy and ataxia. Dysfunction of these channels can also lead to cardiovascular diseases and muscle disorders.

How are voltage gated calcium channels studied?

Scientists use various techniques to study voltage gated calcium channels, such as electrophysiology, molecular biology, and imaging techniques. These methods help researchers understand the structure, function, and regulation of these channels, as well as their role in different diseases.