1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help w/ constructive interference sound wave intensity

1. Feb 12, 2007 #1
    The Problem : The sound wave with intensity 31 mW/m2 interferes constructively with a sound wave that has an intensity of 20 mW/m2. What is the intensity of the superposition of the two.

I know that you can add the amplitudes for constructive interference or subtract for destructive interference . Also i do know that intensity is proportional to amplitude squard. I dont know how to solve when i only have two intensities so i know you cant just add the intensitites. any help would be appreciated thanks

[

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2007 #2
    This may be a bit of a trick question; if the two waves were set up with equal amplitudes to collide constructively, what would be your guess? Double, nothing, or somewhre in between? Pressure is a scalar quantity,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?