1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help w/ projecetile motion w/ angled launch problem

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bowling ball rolls off an angled roof. The roof is sloped downward at 18.4 degrees and it is 12m above the ground. The question is how long does it take the ball to hit the ground?

2. Relevant equations
    Δx=viΔt+1/2a(Δt)^2
    I know this is the equation I have to use but I'm having trouble isolating t.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used quad formula and ended up getting Δt=1.56s but I don't think that's right. The working equation I got was Δt=(-2ghi)^(1/2)/g .I assumed Vi was 0. I don't know how to do this, help please!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

How far down the roof did the ball roll before launching of the edge? In other words; at what speed did the ball leave the roof?

EDIT: and is the time you are after, the time taken after it leaves the roof, or the time taken after it was released at the ridge of the roof and began rolling?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  4. Oct 26, 2011 #3
    I think it might be missing some information.

the angle is there for some reason.

5. Oct 26, 2011 #4
    That's all the info to this problem and I would assume it's asking for how the ball takes to hit the ground after it's left the roof.

6. Oct 26, 2011 #5

PeterO

Homework Helper

If that is all the information that is provided then the answer is: "this problem is incalculable due to insufficient information"

Have you entered the question in the exact words in which the original question was stated?

It looks more like your interpretation of the question.

7. Oct 26, 2011 #6
    Well, here's the exact question. A bowling ball rolls off an angled roof. The roof is sloped downward at 18.4°, and the eaves are 12.0 meters above the ground. a.)How long does it take the ball it hit the ground?

8. Oct 27, 2011 #7

PeterO

Homework Helper

What is part b, c, etc

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook