1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help w/ Proof in Category Theory

1. Jan 6, 2009 #1
    I don't understand this proof, specifically the part in red, I don't understand. Please help me understand this step in the proof. Thanks!

Let Tors be the category whose objects are torsion abelian
    groups; if [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex] are torsion abelian groups, we define [tex]\text{Mor}_{\text{\textbf{Tors}}}(A, B)[/tex] to
    be the set of all (group) homomorphisms [tex]\phi : A \rightarrow B[/tex]. Prove that direct
    products exist in Tors; that is, show that given any indexed family [tex]{A_i}_{i \in I}[/tex]
    where each [tex]A_i [/tex] is a torsion abelian group, there exists a torsion abelian group
    which serves as a direct product for this family in Tors.

Proof- Let [tex]T[/tex] be the torsion subgroup (that is, the subgroup of elements of finite
    order) of [tex]P = \prod_{i \in I} A_i = \{f : I \rightarrow A_i : f(i) \in A_i \text{ } \forall i\}[/tex]; here of course
    [tex]P[/tex] is the direct product of [tex]\{A_i\}_{i \in I}[/tex] in the category Ab. Let [tex]j : T \rightarrow P[/tex] be
    the inclusion and for each [tex]i \in I[/tex], let [tex]\pi_i : P \rightarrow A_i[/tex] denote the usual projection
    map; that is, [tex]\pi_i(f) = f(i)[/tex]. (In coordinate notation, [tex]\pi_i(a_0, a_1, \ldots) = a_i[/tex].)
    For each [tex]i \in I[/tex] define [tex]\tau_i : T \rightarrow A_i[/tex] by [tex]\tau_i = \pi_i * j[/tex]. I claim that the group
    [tex] T[/tex] together with the maps [tex]\{\tau_i\}_{i \in I}[/tex] constitute a direct product for [tex]A_{i \in I}[/tex] in
    Tors. Well, given a torsion group [tex]S[/tex] and maps [tex]\sigma_i : S \rightarrow A_i[/tex] for each [tex]i \in I[/tex],
    one defines [tex]h : S \rightarrow T[/tex] as follows: given [tex]s \in S[/tex], let [tex]h(s) \in T[/tex] be the function
    defined by [tex]\color{red}{[h(s)](i) = \sigma_i(s)}[/tex]. Then clearly [tex]\tau_i * h = \sigma_i \text{ } \forall i \in I[/tex]. Moreover,
    if [tex]h' : S \rightarrow T[/tex] is any other map such that [tex]\tau_i * h' = \sigma_i[/tex], then for any [tex]s \in S[/tex] and
    [tex] i \in I[/tex], [tex]\color{red}{[h(s)](i) }= (\tau_i * h)(s) = \sigma_i(s) = (\tau_i * h')(s) = \color{red}{[h'(s)](i)}[/tex], so [tex]h = h'[/tex].

I don't understand what [tex]\color{red}{[h(s)](i) = \sigma_i(s)}[/tex] is.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Function-valued functions can be confusing; I've always found that stepping through the notation in painstaking detail is very helpful.

By definition, h : S --> T
    Therefore, [itex]h(s) \in T[/itex]
    By definition of T, h(s) is a function [itex]I \to A_i[/itex]
    h(s)(i) is, therefore, evaluating h(s) at i. (And [itex]h(s)(i) \in A_i[/itex])

4. Jan 6, 2009 #3
    Got it, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?