Help with a chemical equation please

• Thread starter brian1racing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary, the student attempted to balance an equation containing sulfur and iodine, but was told by their chemistry lecturer that they could use fractions. They attempted to submit the equation using fractions, but were told by a different source that thermodynamic values are always listed using the smallest possible integers.
brian1racing
Hi I'm new on here and a mature student studying geology. We have an assignment (our 5th one) to be in on the 11th jan . I'm in my 1st yr and have not ever studied chemistry unless you count a couple of years around the age of 11 or 12 which was now roughly 28 yrs ago!

Anyway I've been trying to balance this equation for days but have a feeling that it may have been written incorrectly. If anyone would be kind enough to take a look and see if it can be done I would certainly appreciate it. Not particularly looking for the answer just to know if it can or can't be done.

Thanks.

(d) Ca3Al2SI3O12(s) + H2CO3(l) + H2O(l) → Ca2+
(aq) + Al4Si4O10(OH)8 (s)+ H4SiO4(l) +
HCO3 -
(aq)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I guess first substance on the left is an aluminosilicate, and the equation looks like this:

Ca3Al2Si3O12 + H2CO3 + H2O -> Ca2+ + Al4Si4O10(OH)8 + H4SiO4 + HCO3-

The way you wrote it it contained S and I - sulfur and iodine - instead of Si. As obvious typo, either done when you copied the equation or in the assignment.

If so, it can be balanced. I would start assuming there is just a single molecule of Al4Si4O10(OH)8 produced - this is a standard procedure, select the most complicated compound and assume coefficient of 1.

Often best approach to such monsters is the algebraic method of balancing chemical equations.

Note that for the equation to be balanced, not only atoms have to be balanced, but also charges - which immediately means that on the right coefficient at Ca2+ must be half of the coefficient at HCO3-. In other words Ca(HCO3)2(aq) is the product, not two separate ions.

Thanks did'nt expect a reply today, but will take your advice on board and have another crack at it , although that probably won't happen until all the turkey and wine has been finished. Many thanks and a merry christmas to you.

Hey Thanks decided to have a go and just balanced it , think its this

Ca3Al2Si3O12 + 6H2CO3 + H2O -> 3Ca2+ + 0.5Al4Si4O10(OH)8 + H4SiO4 + 6HCO3-

Seems to be correct, I had'nt realized the coefficient on the charged ions needed to be that way, but it makes sense. You've made my christmas. Thanks again.

Please note you should multiply everything by 2 - coefficients should be the smallest possible integers.

Ok Thanks, but i was told by my chemistry lecturer that we were fine using fractions so i will submit it like that and see what feedback i get.

But thanks again for your help.

Fractions are OK during balancing and during stoichiometric calculations, where it is the ratio of coefficients that matters. However, thermodynamic values (like equilibrium constants) related to reactions are always listed assuming coefficients form a set of smallest possible integers. It is just a convention, but ignoring it you risk a nasty surprise one day. Following it always just puts you on the safe side.

1. What is a chemical equation?

A chemical equation is a symbolic representation of a chemical reaction, which shows the reactants on the left side and the products on the right side.

2. How do I balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you need to make sure that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation. This can be achieved by adjusting the coefficients in front of each compound.

3. What is the purpose of balancing a chemical equation?

The purpose of balancing a chemical equation is to follow the law of conservation of mass, which states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction. Balancing ensures that the number of atoms on both sides of the equation is equal.

4. How do I know which coefficients to use when balancing a chemical equation?

The coefficients used in balancing a chemical equation are determined by trial and error. Start by balancing the elements that appear in only one compound and then move on to the more complex compounds. Make sure to check that the number of atoms on both sides is equal after each step.

5. Can you provide an example of a balanced chemical equation?

One example of a balanced chemical equation is the reaction between hydrogen gas (H2) and oxygen gas (O2) to form water (H2O): 2H2 + O2 → 2H2O